sport lens advice

Name
Adam Partridge
Edit My Images
Yes
I am going to try my hand at sports photography in the future as sport is one of my biggest passions. specifically I'm interested in Rugby and cricket. I am planning to get a EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM to complement my only current lens (the EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM). Would this be a good lens for these sports? or should I save for something else? my two main concerns are that I need a fast lens for rugby cause of light in the winter, but I also need the range for the cricket.

does any one on here have experience in cricket photography? as I can't find any examples of it on here.

thanks

I took this with a Sony 75-300 f4 - f5.6 kit lens last year, so I don't think you'd have too many problems with cricket. To get really sharp shots in winter lighting though, you're probably looking at an f2.8 lens (70-200) and they don't come cheap.

OWZAT.jpg

I currently have a cheapo Tamron 4.0-5.6 70-300 (no IS), which I use for Rugby. It does struggle a bit at the long range with my 400D (fastest ISO 1600) at the end of those dark winter afternoons but the IS on what you're considering is worth a stop or two? Also I guess also depends on your camera and fastest ISO setting?

IS does get you a stop or two, but it isn't really for moving subjects...

I'd suggest the 70 - 200 f2.8 for the rugby and maybe an extender to give you a bit more reach for the cricket, as that is played at a brighter time of year (don't they stop playing if the weather's bad too?)

thanks for the advice guys, i think I'll stick with purchasing the EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM for now and practice shooting sport then look to get a 70 - 200 f2.8 none IS with a 2x extender at the end of the yeat, start of next year. Thanks again for those who took the time to respond, greatly apprciated

I've got a 70-200mm f2.8 (Sigma) which is perfect for rugby for me. I had a F4 but it was quite slow and as rugby is played in the winter, dull conditions ensue. I have the added advantage of being able to stay on the touchline though, in front of the spectators so get quite close to the action - sometimes too close as I found my self underneath 3 burly players after not getting out of the way of a tackle fast enough :LOL::LOL::LOL:

As the rugby season is nearly over, and cricket season will start, you should be alright with the f4 and start saving those pennies for the f2.8. (Speak to Kerso, I recommend the sigma)

Back