Sporting Events

Edit My Images
No
Hi all.
First post so be gentle..!
I live near Cheltenham and wonder if anyone has a list of sporting events within 50 miles that would make for good opportunities to take pictures. I have trawled the internet with surprisingly few results. I will be sneaking around the back of Cheltenham Races, and have managed to get into the local football club. I have also been to several local running comps.

If there is a thread on this subject already I apologise in advance, just thought I would ask :)

Hey DemiLion There is a public footpath at the back of Cheltenham race track where it is perfectly legal to take photographs of the races. Many do it.

Thank you Sgt_Bilko99 (great show by the way) for your helpful advice. I have tried the local newspapers and I have contacted several of the local football clubs, but I hadn't thought of looking at the FA site, great idea, I appreciate you taking the time.

Last edited:
I am going to leave this forum. I was quite excited to make my first post, trying to balance humour with newbie exuberance. The treatment I received from DemiLion and Gary Coyle was in my opinion disgraceful. It pains me that people who have a love for the same art as myself can be so critical and disparaging.

Well guys you completely ruined the experience for me, you must be very proud of yourselves...

Hey DemiLion There is a public footpath at the back of Cheltenham race track where it is perfectly legal to take photographs of the races. Many do it.
So why mention "sneaking in round the back"

You were rumbled and tried to U turn

Last edited:
I am going to leave this forum. I was quite excited to make my first post, trying to balance humour with newbie exuberance. The treatment I received from DemiLion and Gary Coyle was in my opinion disgraceful. It pains me that people who have a love for the same art as myself can be so critical and disparaging.

Well guys you completely ruined the experience for me, you must be very proud of yourselves...

I used to be one of the official photographers at Cheltenham. How on earth do you expect me to react?

Admin...

How come this thread has been edited and yet there are no edit warnings on the amended posts?

I thought you could only see the "edited" on your own posts, might be wrong, i edited my own post #7 can you see the "edited" on that

Take a look at local Cricket Clubs and their fixtures. Great practice of timing and patiets, I umpires it for 33 years had enough of that . I can just as easily watch everyball through the lens.

We (Admin) can see all edits. Not all edits leave a publicly viewable history.
The thread has been tidied by a mod.

Thanks Marcel. I dispute the fact that tidying was required and stand by my (deleted) comment. 'Sneaking' into sports events to take pictures should never be considered acceptable and needs to be robustly denounced whenever seen.

You may not be aware of the fact but it is one of the reasons that accreditation is becoming increasingly difficult to acquire in some sports.

That aside would you consider a policy that Mods should comment when they've edited posts please? Ta

Last edited:
For clarity..I made a report about the OPs post as it was personally insulting to another member IMHO. wasnt my call so i reported it. (those insults since removed) Making remarks about what someone does is one thing.. making personal remarks about another person is something else..

To be fair to the OP, the forum is called Talk Sports and not Talk Professional Sports Photographers. He asked a simple question which deserved an answer and not some smarmy comments from people with agendas.

He didn't say he wanted to take Sports pictures and give them away for free to the national press so no agendas are required.

It's got nothing to do with giving images away. One more person in the racing industry is hardly going to change that.

It's about following the rules and more importantly not trying to 'sneak' into a venue - presumably without paying.
It is that sort of attitude (get in free, photograph whatever I want) that affects all photographers. Usually to their detriment.

It's got nothing to do with giving images away. One more person in the racing industry is hardly going to change that.

It's about following the rules and more importantly not trying to 'sneak' into a venue - presumably without paying.
It is that sort of attitude (get in free, photograph whatever I want) that affects all photographers. Usually to their detriment.

Whilst the use of the word "sneaking" was possibly ill advised, seeking clarification of context rather than wading straight in with the size12s would have been a better course of action?

I get your point Marc but the implication is pretty clear. Yup there's a public right of way at the back of the course but try to leave that and get into the venue itself would cause major H&S issues.

Is it true that some pro horse racing photographers are getting a bit peeved at the number of 'amateurs' at certain horse racing meetings?

I can't see their beef personally. All these 'amateurs' seem to be doing is sharing their photos on Twitter and the like. It's a good way of getting one foot through the door. If these pro's were any good at their job, they wouldn't be getting so worried about things.

Is it true that some pro horse racing photographers are getting a bit peeved at the number of 'amateurs' at certain horse racing meetings?

I can't see their beef personally. All these 'amateurs' seem to be doing is sharing their photos on Twitter and the like. It's a good way of getting one foot through the door. If these pro's were any good at their job, they wouldn't be getting so worried about things.

If you must troll do you think that you could think of an original inflammatory statement instead of wheeling out the old "If these pro's were any good at their job, they wouldn't be getting so worried about things."

Took the words out of my mouth there @meonshore

If you must troll do you think that you could think of an original inflammatory statement instead of wheeling out the old "If these pro's were any good at their job, they wouldn't be getting so worried about things."

I'm not trolling in the slightest.

I'm just a bit sick of people telling others when or where they can take a photograph.

It's little wonder that the sport forums on here are almost empty.

Last edited:
I'm not trolling in the slightest.

I'm just a bit sick of people telling others when or where they can take a photograph.

Its not usually people telling other people when or where they cant take photos, its usually educated and experienced sports professionals trying and failing to educate trolls and numpties what the official line is regarding who, what, where and whys of taking photos laid down by sports governing bodies and sports venues

Fozzy,
I've been very grateful for the advice on exactly that issue, that I've received on here.

My aim is to try and earn some sort of living out of this eventually, I won't be able to do that if I've p***ed off loads of venues by knowingly doing the wrong thing, or printing stuff contrary to Dataco or other licensing agreement.

Just about every professional photographer I know says that cultivating and maintaining relationships is THE most important part of their business.

It's empty because most of the regulars have stopped contributing.

The regulars by the way were the pro's and semi pro's who were happy to offer advice, C&C and general chat.

After a while most got fed up of having their heads chewed off by clueless idiots whenever they posted.
Hence the current state of the Sports forum. People like you basically.

The person that I actually feel sorry for is Kelly who worked her arse off to get this forum before she was a mod.

Mark remembers you from your cross dressing days so gets confused

Hardly. Patricia and Kelly are very different names. Besides, I'd never be able to forget the paisley pattern dresses with the drop stockings - it's a trauma that will never go away.

Mark remembers you from your cross dressing days so gets confused

Are you saying I look like a bloke in drag? I've banned people for less :LOL:

Dammit, maybe the electric shaver isn't enough then

I've not been on here for sometime as I just got fed up of the freebies trying to get one over the pro's but then ask advice expecting everyone to be pleasant to them. Happy to see I made the right choice with this post proving its still happening. I suppose it just wont stop as one fails two more jump in.

Every year its getting harder and harder for any pro sports shooter to make a good living as publications continue to trawl through FB, Twitter etc for any freebie they can grab and when they have to pay its just peanuts. If any of you non pro's cant understand this just ask any pro how many hours they work and weather conditions suffered. Is it any wonder they rant when someone posts "I offer them for free just to get my name out there" or "I'm not really interested in being paid as long as I get a get a credit". Dont get me wrong I have no objections to any ametuer enjoying their hobby as I use to be one, but I never interfered with any pro trying to pay his mortgage.

Probably someone will reply to this and say "here we go winge, winge winge" and yes mate it is a winge and if you dont agree give me your paypacket at the end of the month and see how you like it!
Nice to see a few of you guys have stuck it out on here, not sure why but I do hope some people appreciate the hard earned knowledge you share.

Back