B&W Sports Day

Name
Shaheed
Edit My Images
No
So went to see sports day with our friends - my youngest's first - really nice as the parents all know each other and all our kids were racing together. Took a few pics to record the event! Was worried about whether I could take the dslr with me.........until I saw the majority of parents had a camera, one parent had two dslr's - one wide, one zoom attached!! I was planning to give the school a CD of the images for their wall in the classroom today.........but they're on strike! Tomorrow it is then!

Quite a lot of harsh sunshine and difficult to get an optimum position but nice to be shooting non-studio type stuff.......anyhows here they are

Sports Day by Sir SR, on Flickr

Thanks for looking

Shaheed

Cheers - I was stood with my mate when I took No 1 - he had his i-phone trying to take pics so I said I'd take a couple for him!

I really like number 4 as it catches the spirit of the sports day.

Was planning on doing some in colour, but much preferred the mono!

Thanks for looking

Shaheed

I like your processing too, how do you convert?

Sadly, I just do it to eye - no magic preset or anything - all in LR.

WB, then tinker with highlights/contrast/shadows/exposure. Then B&W followed by more tinkering with the colour saturation sliders.

Maybe a subtle vignette, then thats about it!

these are nice pics.. better than 90% of what parents take.. But could ahve been so so so much better had you knelt down :)

these are nice pics.. better than 90% of what parents take.. But could ahve been so so so much better had you knelt down :)

Yeah - agreed, that's the bit about optimum position - two girls in different year groups meant to-ing and fro-ing - I got as low as I could around the other parents! Next year!!

Last edited:
These are fabulous sports day photos. That first one imparticular IMO.

Good work Shaheed, yeah the perspective could have been better but they're still a wonderful set, showing the dynamism of a typical school sports day. You've captured some great moments and processed them very well.

Last edited:
Good work Shaheed, yeah the perspective could have been better but they're still a wonderful set, showing the dynamism of a typical school sports day. You've captured some great moments and processed them very well.

I think I'll take some knee pads next year and get a better position! Cheers guys, lesson learned!

S

Hi Shaheed, What a lovely set of sports day shots, I really like the the B&W PP work you've done.(y)

Pretty much how I do it then but never end up with those tones... must try harder. :LOL:

We went to sports day last week, got there really early and had prime position on a banking then 2 minutes before the start a gang of parents came with 3 pushchairs and all were smoking. Safe to say it wrecked the viewing point for us and felt like I had a 20 a day habit by the end.... :(

Pretty much how I do it then but never end up with those tones... must try harder. :LOL:

We went to sports day last week, got there really early and had prime position on a banking then 2 minutes before the start a gang of parents came with 3 pushchairs and all were smoking. Safe to say it wrecked the viewing point for us and felt like I had a 20 a day habit by the end.... :(

That's terrible.......don't get me started om smoking over pushchairs (and at a school event)!

Hiya. Have you got any examples of pics from a lower perspective?

Thanks for the advice......always looking to get better.

S

Back