1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. TheF0x

TheF0x

Name:
    Jim
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Hi Everyone, new member here and my first post!

I have been working for a sports agency for a number of years now, and I'm now looking into starting on my own.

Please can anyone give me any details on an image distribution software or website to get the images out there for the national media?

Many thanks.

2. wezza13

wezza13

Name:
    Wez
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Hi Jim, welcome to the forum.

I heard that, to start your own agency, you need to have 5 people working for you that have had 20 images each, published in the national newspapers. You can then create an agency of your own.

I only heard this from talking to two people, who concurred, at a recent-ish footy match

I'd like to know if they have their facts wrong and are wide of the mark? Or are spot on?

Maybe @DemiLion or @KIPAX could help. Also, @whiterosesom has his own agency and may be able to advise you (y)

3. KIPAX

KIPAX Waldorf

Name:
    KIPAX
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Thats like ...wow! Someones winding you up :)
    Once you ahve your own licence you are in effect an agency and can add as many photogrpahers as you like to it.... however thats got absoloutly nothing to do with what the OP is asking...

to answer the OP... you get a list of picture desk emails and send your pictures to them...its that simple... if your working for an agency now you will already know how to caption images with all the relative info.... so you just make the info yours and send.. I have my own licence so i am an agency and can add photogrpahers.. i just choose not to... I simply send my pics to picture desks... i did coventry v accrington on saturday.. emailed them out and got one decent size pic in the Sun on sunday and a small pic on monday... no agency so i get 100% of the fee...

when you work for an agency.. all they do is send the pics to picture editors as above... when you ahve your own licence you just bypass the agency.. getting your own licence is the hard bit but doable..

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018 at 1:19 AM
  4. wezza13

wezza13

Name:
    Wez
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I did think so at the time but it'd be funny if that's what they believe too! And the people that told them :D

Ahh, just re-read the OP - I read it without the "on". "I'm now looking to start my own"... :)

5. TheF0x

TheF0x

Name:
    Jim
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Hi guys!

That's great, thank you for the replies! I thought there might be a central hub or something that the agencies sent too? KIPAX, are the picture desk emails hard to find?

Wezza13, thank you for the welcome! I have been watching in for a few months, I thought it's about time to start talking :)

Cheers guys!

6. KIPAX

KIPAX Waldorf

Name:
    KIPAX
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
  7. TheF0x

TheF0x

Name:
    Jim
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Haha! thanks, KIPAX I thought as much! :)

Thanks again for replying to my post :)

When you send photos to the picture desks, do you just send them 3-4 photos at a time during the game? Or do you set-up a Dropbox system, where they can grab the photos?

Also, a bit of a silly question? Do you send photos with your watermark on them and If they like, they get back to you and you send the unwatermarked version?

Many thanks

8. KIPAX

KIPAX Waldorf

Name:
    KIPAX
    Edit My Images:
    Yes

You send the full size file the same as you have been sending to the agency you worked for.. put all your info in the IPTC the same as you did for the agency but wiht your info not theres.. send a few pics at a time from pitchside.. never send same one twice...

May i ask are you thinking of covering league football.. if so I presume you have a licence.. which makes me wonder how you got it without knowing the above.. if you havent got a licence then ......then ?

9. KIPAX

KIPAX Waldorf

Name:
    KIPAX
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Did I ask the wrong question ? :)

10. Box Brownie

Box Brownie

Edit My Images:
    No
    Don't think so......the OP has not been back yet since post #7 ;)

11. KIPAX

KIPAX Waldorf

Name:
    KIPAX
    Edit My Images:
    Yes

Haa righty oh .. seemed active at the time then went... I shall await with bated breath :)

12. Box Brownie

Box Brownie

Edit My Images:
    No
    Me too, I like to learn how different sectors work:)

13. KIPAX

KIPAX Waldorf

Name:
    KIPAX
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    oh well :)