Sports image distribution

Name
Jim
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi Everyone, new member here and my first post!

I have been working for a sports agency for a number of years now, and I'm now looking into starting on my own.

Please can anyone give me any details on an image distribution software or website to get the images out there for the national media?

Many thanks.

Hi Everyone, new member here and my first post!

I have been working for a sports agency for a number of years now, and I'm now looking into starting on my own.

Please can anyone give me any details on an image distribution software or website to get the images out there for the national media?

Many thanks.

Hi Jim, welcome to the forum.

I heard that, to start your own agency, you need to have 5 people working for you that have had 20 images each, published in the national newspapers. You can then create an agency of your own.

I only heard this from talking to two people, who concurred, at a recent-ish footy match

I'd like to know if they have their facts wrong and are wide of the mark? Or are spot on?

Maybe @DemiLion or @KIPAX could help. Also, @whiterosesom has his own agency and may be able to advise you (y)

I heard that, to start your own agency, you need to have 5 people working for you that have had 20 images each, published in the national newspapers. You can then create an agency of your own.

Thats like ...wow! Someones winding you up :)
Once you ahve your own licence you are in effect an agency and can add as many photogrpahers as you like to it.... however thats got absoloutly nothing to do with what the OP is asking...

to answer the OP... you get a list of picture desk emails and send your pictures to them...its that simple... if your working for an agency now you will already know how to caption images with all the relative info.... so you just make the info yours and send.. I have my own licence so i am an agency and can add photogrpahers.. i just choose not to... I simply send my pics to picture desks... i did coventry v accrington on saturday.. emailed them out and got one decent size pic in the Sun on sunday and a small pic on monday... no agency so i get 100% of the fee...

when you work for an agency.. all they do is send the pics to picture editors as above... when you ahve your own licence you just bypass the agency.. getting your own licence is the hard bit but doable..

Last edited:
Hi guys!

That's great, thank you for the replies! I thought there might be a central hub or something that the agencies sent too? KIPAX, are the picture desk emails hard to find?

Wezza13, thank you for the welcome! I have been watching in for a few months, I thought it's about time to start talking :)

Cheers guys!

Haha! thanks, KIPAX I thought as much! :)

Thanks again for replying to my post :)

When you send photos to the picture desks, do you just send them 3-4 photos at a time during the game? Or do you set-up a Dropbox system, where they can grab the photos?

Also, a bit of a silly question? Do you send photos with your watermark on them and If they like, they get back to you and you send the unwatermarked version?

Many thanks

When you send photos to the picture desks, do you just send them 3-4 photos at a time during the game? Or do you set-up a Dropbox system, where they can grab the photos?
Also, a bit of a silly question? Do you send photos with your watermark on them and If they like, they get back to you and you send the unwatermarked version?

You send the full size file the same as you have been sending to the agency you worked for.. put all your info in the IPTC the same as you did for the agency but wiht your info not theres.. send a few pics at a time from pitchside.. never send same one twice...

May i ask are you thinking of covering league football.. if so I presume you have a licence.. which makes me wonder how you got it without knowing the above.. if you havent got a licence then ......then ?

Did I ask the wrong question ? :)

Don't think so......the OP has not been back yet since post #7 ;)

Haa righty oh .. seemed active at the time then went... I shall await with bated breath :)

oh well :)

Hi Kipax, where do I find the 'picture desk emails?' and how do I protect my images so they don't just use them without paying?

Hi Kipax, where do I find the 'picture desk emails?' and how do I protect my images so they don't just use them without paying?

see post #6 for how to get the emails... as for "protecting" the images, i'll leave that to our Seriously Likeable chap to answer :LOL:

see post #6 for how to get the emails... as for "protecting" the images, i'll leave that to our Seriously Likeable chap to answer :LOL:

So it was YOU!!!!

You enter all your details (payment for BACS mostly) into the IPTC of the picture... You cant protect it and some newspapers will use your pics without instantly paying... My biggest customer and everyones best bet for league 1 and 2 is the SUN newspaper.. always been great with me.. I get paid without knowing they used a pic.. But every now and then they dont and you have to chase them up.. might be there system.. I don't see them doing it on purpose.. big company like that trying to steal £100 .. nagh :)

I thought all pics taken at a ground not taken by the official photographers were copyright the premiership or Football league?

I thought all pics taken at a ground not taken by the official photographers were copyright the premiership or Football league?

Nope.. Football leagues have nothing to do with Photography.. A company called DataCo have control and they issue licences to photogrpahers But can only do certain things with the pics...

Last edited:
Nope.. Football leagues have nothing to do with Photography.. A company called DataCo have control and they issue licences to photogrpahers But can only do certain things with the pics...
Ok thanks. So the camera restrictions at grounds are to protect the DataCo deal?

Ok thanks. So the camera restrictions at grounds are to protect the DataCo deal?

It would seem so... but dont shoot the messenger :) its not somehting I would say I agree with... somoene from stands wont take a shot simmilar to pitchside and get it sent to paper 4 minutes later..

It would seem so... but dont shoot the messenger :) its not somehting I would say I agree with... somoene from stands wont take a shot simmilar to pitchside and get it sent to paper 4 minutes later..
Thanks.

Back