Sports Photography

thread cleaned, lets get back to helping and advising the OP please guys :)

Oh, I was perfectly happy for it to be left there to be honest...I'm a big boy, I can take it. Unless you know something I don't!? :thinking:

Paul,

The 450D is a pretty good body to get started with...like I said in my initial post, I started with a 350D.

The lens would be fine for daylight work, no problems except your focussing speed will obviously be slower than it would be with your initially suggested kit!

If I was looking to upgrade and stick with the one body I'd look for a used 1D mkII or a 50D along with a 100-400L. That's a pretty good way to upgrade without the issues you might face with 2 bodies (ie. getting used to switching between them).

With regards to the images, go on...post up a couple from this season. Someone will set you right!

Last edited:
Personally whether it's sport or not, if I was being commissioned to shoot I'd want two bodies, however if your shooting on spec and hoping to sell, it's not so much an issue.

Hi Paul,

I have been looking at this thread with interest. The advice you have been given so far is spot on, don't waste your money on expensive gear. Having been a staff photographer, for a number of years including your local paper the Cynon Valley Leader, I know for a fact you will not make a lot of money if any in local sports photography. You can submit pictures to your local office now based in Pontypridd, and they will use them and give you a by line, but ask for payment and the answer will be NO. I used to be staff photographer on the Neath Guardian, Len, (Lenswork) should know this paper well as he comes from Neath. I used to cover two games on a Saturday afternoon, one for the Neath Guardian, and the other for the Port Talbot Guardian, It got to the point where we were having so many free pictures sent in to us in the office, that I was no longer needed for sport on a Saturday. The situation now is the Neath Port Talbot Guardian, is closed down due to falling sales, and five out of seven photographers are now redundant due to the fact people are giving their pictures away free of charge and the editors are using them regardless of quality.

Ps I'm only in Cilfynydd, if you ever want to meet and have a chat.

Last edited:
Advice given has been spot on for me to

Papers will take as much as they can without paying for them, I've noticed it as far up as regionals

I've been asked to run pics with credit and refused, I've also been approached by papers who claim not to have budget for that kind of thing to submit images at there local rate (which I've had cleared was correct) there is also a day rate they use to which i was approached with for a nice day trip some weeks back

Be tough but fair with your stance regarding them

Also, I would say, enjoy it. don't feel under pressure to get results early on. I was lucky enough to be given the chance at a local club who have been on the up for a few years and get along with players now who always give me feedback and say things about the pics I take

Not the same for everyone I know but at first, enjoy it, get to know people and then try and push your way around the local league/up from there. get yourself a conference license and get in with papers once they get used to your work aswell. that can get you the break once you get things built up

EDIT - to add, I use 2 x D300s with grips, one official one, one third party (the name escapes me) but the difference for me is noticeable, once i get a few more things sorted I will get rid of the third party grip to go official Nikon one

Last edited:
My best advice is to immediately buy a used 400 2.8 :D.

All the sport I have shot over the years, all I have used is a 70-200mm f2.8 and occasionally had the use of a 300mm f2.8 never had a problem with producing good images.

All the sport I have shot over the years, all I have used is a 70-200mm f2.8 and occasionally had the use of a 300mm f2.8 never had a problem with producing good images.

dont do a lot of cricket then?

whitey said:
Advice given has been spot on for me to

Papers will take as much as they can without paying for them, I've noticed it as far up as regionals

I've been asked to run pics with credit and refused, I've also been approached by papers who claim not to have budget for that kind of thing to submit images at there local rate (which I've had cleared was correct) there is also a day rate they use to which i was approached with for a nice day trip some weeks back

Be tough but fair with your stance regarding them

Also, I would say, enjoy it. don't feel under pressure to get results early on. I was lucky enough to be given the chance at a local club who have been on the up for a few years and get along with players now who always give me feedback and say things about the pics I take

Not the same for everyone I know but at first, enjoy it, get to know people and then try and push your way around the local league/up from there. get yourself a conference license and get in with papers once they get used to your work aswell. that can get you the break once you get things built up

Whitey I appreciate that mate. I have enjoyed doing division 2 rugby the last 2 years. I used to play for the team aswell so am good mates with the lads too.

They're in division 1 now so I'll get to do the pics for the website and will get some feedback from that. Like I said further back in this thread I'm not expecting to walk into anything big. Far from it but I will get some new gear to just help me along.

Neither did i, but the 400mm f/2.8 is a different ball game, i even have a 1.4x glued on mine all the time giving me 560mm on full frame :D

dont do a lot of cricket then?

Not if I can help it :LOL: but on the odd occation use a plus 2 converter. Funnily I shot a game two weeks ago and could have done with 1000mm lens, the boundry was the largest I have ever seen, even with a plus 2 on it was difficult :LOL: and the side I was shooting decided to bowl. The batting side were no good for the paper as they were from out of the area.

Last edited:
ooops, sorry Graham if I offended, there was no need to remove the pics. Just a little banter that's all ;)

Knowing what the action is and when the vital moment occurs is the key and expensive kit can't buy that. You have to walk before you can run.

Knowing what the action is and when the vital moment occurs is the key and expensive kit can't buy that. You have to walk before you can run.

Now im a great beleiver of that, i figure im quite decent at shooting my chosen subject and i certainally put some of that down to playing the game from being a nipper and having a good understanding of the game in general.

Now im a great beleiver of that, i figure im quite decent at shooting my chosen subject and i certainally put some of that down to playing the game from being a nipper and having a good understanding of the game in general.

I find I'm biased to the backs when it comes to RL, I used to play center and winger....Wonder why I'm biased !! lol

ooops, sorry Graham if I offended, there was no need to remove the pics. Just a little banter that's all ;)

:LOL::LOL::LOL: No problem Phil, I just grabbed a couple of unedited images from my archive folder, the ones that were published were on level ground :LOL::LOL::LOL: The problem is my right leg is 2 inches shorter than my left one :LOL::LOL::LOL:

I find I'm biased to the backs when it comes to RL, I used to play center and winger....Wonder why I'm biased !! lol
Ya forgetting weve met Simon, i would have had you down as a prop. :LOL:

You going to Wakey for the Challenge Cup match gainst Cas on Saturday mate, ill be there, then Bradford v Wigan on Sunday.

:LOL::LOL::LOL: No problem Phil, I just grabbed a couple of unedited images from my archive folder, the ones that were published were on level ground :LOL::LOL::LOL: The problem is my right leg is 2 inches shorter than my left one :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Ah I see, so you could have stood on the other side of the action then, save all that PP malarky (y)

Ya forgetting weve met Simon, i would have had you down as a prop. :LOL:

You going to Wakey for the Challenge Cup match gainst Cas on Saturday mate, ill be there, then Bradford v Wigan on Sunday.

Got another job on Gary. Wildcats game me thinks.

Tobers said:
I've got my 400 2.8 for sale in the Canon classifieds on this forum for £2500.

G'day Tobers, why are you selling your 400? Am also looking at selling mine, needing 600mm now....

Dont think anyones made that direct assumption mate, however i think folk are leaning towards that way of thinking because the OP himself has indicated a desire to improve
It would be useful if the OP did post some stuff though

What's wrong with him wanting to improve? I love football but have only shot it once. And that time was when I was out playing footy with other 13 year olds. So yes I would also like to improve and I am sure that most people here, if not everyone wants to improve in something.

Just hang in there. If you know someone that plays football he can probably get you into the local games. I think that is probably the best way to get into sports photography. Especially because sports photography is very crowded.

What's wrong with him wanting to improve? I love football but have only shot it once. And that time was when I was out playing footy with other 13 year olds. So yes I would also like to improve and I am sure that most people here, if not everyone wants to improve in something.
WTF you on about, theres absolutly nothing wrong with wanting to improve and ive never said otherwise, the opposite in fact. so why quote something i said without it including the reference i was replying to. :wacky:

WTF you on about, theres absolutly nothing wrong with wanting to improve and ive never said otherwise, the opposite in fact. so why quote something i said without it including the reference i was replying to. :wacky:

you said people where leaning towards him being a beginner because he wanted to improve. I wasn't meaning to offend you, I was just pointing it out.

Assassin said:
G'day Tobers, why are you selling your 400? Am also looking at selling mine, needing 600mm now....

Ah, exactly the same reason...:) I'm selling the 300/2.8 as well, wanting to buy the 600/4 and the 200/2.... :) there are other things I'd like as well, like the 17mm tilt shift, but that will wait a little while...

There are two versions of the 600, do you know how much better is version II? My guess is it would be significantly better...

What are you planning to use it for?

I doubt whether anyone knows as it hasn't been released yet!

Try again in December!

Hi Paul,
dont let anyone put you of your desire to be a good sports photographer but it takes a lot of time and effort, from what i,ve heard

Paul,

If you haven't used a 400mm f2.8 before, I would highly recommend that you hire one and try it out before investing the money in one. Also, if you use a 400mm f2.8 for rugby (or any other pitch-based sport) then you will definitely need a shorter lens (70-200mm) on a second body to catch all the action. If you only had one body then a good alternative would be a Sigma 120-300mm f2.8.

Cheers,

Dave

Paul,

If you haven't used a 400mm f2.8 before, I would highly recommend that you hire one and try it out before investing the money in one. Also, if you use a 400mm f2.8 for rugby (or any other pitch-based sport) then you will definitely need a shorter lens (70-200mm) on a second body to catch all the action. If you only had one body then a good alternative would be a Sigma 120-300mm f2.8.

Cheers,

Dave

:plus1:

Back