Beginner Sports

Name
Damen
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi

My friend is a professional footballer for a Team in the UK, I have the opportunity to do some photography at their home games, but I'm worried the gear I have isn't upto the job.

I have d3300, lens wise 18-55 kit, 1.8 35mm. 6.3 70-300mm Nikon vr.

I can't afford the ideal 70-200 but with the gear I have could I do anything with it??

also any info on photographing sports?? i.e. will I be allowed to use my flash gun etc??

thanks

it will be daytime games but with how dull and dark it gets their flood lights come on around half time.

Hi

My friend is a professional footballer for a Team in the UK, I have the opportunity to do some photography at their home games, but I'm worried the gear I have isn't upto the job.

I have d3300, lens wise 18-55 kit, 1.8 35mm. 6.3 70-300mm Nikon vr.

I can't afford the ideal 70-200 but with the gear I have could I do anything with it??

also any info on photographing sports?? i.e. will I be allowed to use my flash gun etc??

thanks

You might struggle with the f6.3 - the floodlights really aren’t that good at most games.
Sometimes even f2.8 seems not be enough.

Daylight games- you should be ok to begin with.

The kit lens and 35mm - for football they really don’t have the reach.

Flashgun - that’s a no. So you can’t use that one ..

When I was starting to cover my first sports games... I might have had some f5.6 lenses and at the time was very pleased with the results.
Looking back on them... maybe not anymore

Where as your kit is far from ideal- I would go to the ground and see what you can do with it.
In the evening games, you really might struggle to get anything with f6.3 ....
On a nice afternoon ... if you can up the iso and keep it at f6.3... I think you should get some nice images.

If there is a chance for you to borrow/test/buy second hand...lenses at f4 ... you’ll be in a better position.

But definitely don’t think your gear isn’t going to get you anything... before you go to the ground and give it a try.

And I am sure there will e helpful TP forum members who will give you advice if you post your images on the Sports section here.
I know all those years ago TP was a great source of advice for me...

Thanks for the Asvise guys thats great.

Championship, under 23s and then the main team another week, sheffield wednesday.

Thanks

You'll be fine during the day, but if it gets dark enough for the floodlights to be turned on, you might well struggle then.

Have fun.

Thats great thank you, their under 23s kick offs are normally at 1pm so that will be fine then, if anything it will be the main game as kick off at 3 but always dull half way through.

Back