Springwatch 2015

keep missing it, wonder what Chris Packhams chosen band is this time around to slip song titles into conversations.

Watched a couple of episodes, but gave up. Not as good as they used to be.

I have watched a few and to be honest am not a fan of Spring watch, but then neither am I a fan of Chris, I can see the educational and interest/ infotainment value for the general public.
Although not exactly. the same I do prefer Country File.
SWMBO is a great fan and so it will always be watched in this house unless another TV is installed.

I agree with new presenters. A lot of talking and not enough wildlife, seems to be an amount of wildlife that is shown over and over again with not a lot of new inbetween.

Trevor

Not watched it for a very long time and won't as long as Packham is on it :mad:
I will never forget him showing photos that had been sent in and saying he couldn't understand people
entering such rubbish, it really annoyed my, ok so perhaps they weren't that good but was there
really any reason for him to say so publicly

dont mind Chris Packham as he makes wildlife interesting for the younger generation, though im a bigger fan of SImon King ( who also used to be a Client of mine and i was made fave son in law by the wifes mum when i got Simon to sign a photo and send it to her with a personal note ). Oddly seems Simon has been pretty much absent from our screens for quite some time now ( big cats diary was 2011). Though the website is active with Live cams seems like the TV side of things has taken a back step in relation to other projects.
really nice guy though and great to chat with.

I'm going to go again the popular wisdom here and say I've been enjoying it. I reckon they've done a reasonable job of finding new things to cover.

I've watched them all so far and I can see what you mean. So far I've liked bits about the badgers and barn owls. I supposed it's not as new as it was and it's going over the same ground each year.
I have to say, the badger and barn owl bits have been some of the less interesting bits. Other than the specific research in to the badger movements, it's largely been covering the same ground as before. My barn-owl knowledge is the same as before the series started. I've got much more enjoyment out of things like segments about phalarope, swifts and the insect-in-the-atmosphere where I learn things I didn't know before the programme started.

I'm going to go again the popular wisdom here and say I've been enjoying it. I reckon they've done a reasonable job of finding new things to cover.

Don't worry, you are not alone, i too an loving this years Spring Watch

I'm loving the Saga of Spineless Simon, and the Hawk Off was fascinating to watch as well

Saying that though, i still have pretty limited knowledge when it comes to Wildlife as i have only really discovered my passion for it a few years ago, so i'm all about learning new things

Last edited:
Clarkson, May & Hammond could make it a very interesting/different show and call it "Top Watch"

What a brilliant idea (Hmmm)

Its a good TV show, and as has been said streets ahead of the garbage dished up for people to watch. (Even top gear!!)

Would be a great show with 3 new presenters

Yes, I try not to focus on the presenters because the programme is not about them, but sometimes they seem a tad jaded. Pity that Kate Humble left. She was sufficiently lively.

I think the problem off spring watch is they are trying to engage the general public who are not the usual visitors of nature reserves. There has been some good mini stories, the new interesting and educational content for the converted nature lovers is few and far between.

The sparrow hawk vs goshawk was very interesting. The tawny owl story has been interesting but not groundbreaking.

Would be a great show with 3 new presenters

A slightly change of presenters or maybe guest presenter stories without the 3 presenters may make it slightly different.

I like it.

Disgrace.

I liked the Tawny Owl segment and take my hat off to the dedication of the camera teams that provide the foundation of the show. At times it's too much chat and not enough wildlife, and for sure Packham is too full of self importance for me. The other guy tries too hard to be James May and Michaela is no Kate Humble.

All that said they are doing their best to popularise wildlife conservation issues, so I on balance I do like the Spring and Autumn watch programmes.

I've enjoyed it this year.

Good humour and the right blend of factual and light heartedness.

The Orkney / Shetland segments have been my favourite.

Love watching the program but can't help thinking how good a badger hair shaving brush is when the real animal appears in front of the camera.

Packham is just showing off but is very well read when he is describing the animal antics and behaviour.

I quite enjoyed the odd episode I managed to catch. I think Chris Packam does appeal to the younger generation, I don't actually mind him, he's knowledgeable and a good photographer too. The best episode for me was the one that included the feature by Andy Rouse on the GCB. Really good indeed i thought.

I quite enjoyed the odd episode I managed to catch. I think Chris Packam does appeal to the younger generation, I don't actually mind him, he's knowledgeable and a good photographer too. The best episode for me was the one that included the feature by Andy Rouse on the GCB. Really good indeed i thought.

I quite liked that too, it was interesting to see GCGs in an urban environment yet the images didn't seem urban. I bet next year there will be a huge gathering of photographers for the GCGs in Cardiff now the location information is out.

I quite liked that too, it was interesting to see GCGs in an urban environment yet the images didn't seem urban. I bet next year there will be a huge gathering of photographers for the GCGs in Cardiff now the location information is out.

Yeah it certainly was interesting to see them in the urban environment but I guess we (humans) took over their environment really! But good to see we can both live together.

Back