Sprocket Rocket filter woes.

Name
Gareth
Edit My Images
Yes
So I went out with the newly acquired sprocket rocket to see what it was like. I've always wanted something like an XPan but without the price tag so this seemed like a good idea to try. I wasn't overly keen on the option of having just a 1/100th sec exposure at either f11 or f16 so I did some exploring online and found someone who makes both a filter holder, as well as a cable release adaptor so I bought both. As the filter holder adaptor hasn't arrived I went out with a ND 1000 filter and also some blobs of bluetack to keep the filter in place.

The listing for the filter holder adaptor said to get a 43mm to 52mm step up ring that screws into the adaptor. I have here a 43mm to 58mm step up ring so thought that would be even safer as then it'd interfere less with the possibility of the filter not being wide enough as it's a larger wider filter and then wouldn't show in the frame.

I'm hoping this is a case of light getting in in-between the step up ring and front of lens and when the light tight filter holder adaptor arrives, it'll be game on but wanted to ask others views to see what they thought and whether I needed to go bigger in terms of step up ring, as I have 82mm filters I use with my dslr.

Bit of PP for me when I scan these in :(

1000030967.jpg

1000030965.jpg

Ok, I didn't really follow the whole adapter thing - I blame a trying day and a couple of drinks.

Clearly, the filter is just out in front of the lens, with light getting round it, but it's nowhere near big enough for that glorious angle of view. Unless you have it stuck a centimetre or two in from of the lens, forget it.

Meanwhile, what's wrong with 1/100 s and f/11 or f/16? At least until you've got the measure of the camera, and the film, and the processing, and, and...

On the plus side, it looks like you've nailed the exposure and processing, and I can't see any obvious light leaks.

PS Love the aspect ratio!

This is the filter adapter I bought:
It hasn't arrived yet but the listing said to use a 43 to 52mm step up ring with the adaptor.

So do we think that 58mm isn't big enough and I should get a 43 to 82mm step up ring and use a larger filter?

Really want to get the filter option working as I have some plans for long exposure seascapes with it!

This is the filter adapter I bought:
It hasn't arrived yet but the listing said to use a 43 to 52mm step up ring with the adaptor.

So do we think that 58mm isn't big enough and I should get a 43 to 82mm step up ring and use a larger filter?

Really want to get the filter option working as I have some plans for long exposure seascapes with it!

So, if you look at the neg you have scanned - can you see the world to the left and right of the filter? If you can, as I think I can, either the filter is not large enough, or it is too far away from the front element of the lens. In either case, light is getting in around the edges of the filter.

Back