Spurn Point Lighthouse Long Exposure

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
No
Arriving at Spurn Point in a howling wind and low tide wasn't ideal but it did make the clouds rush past the lighthouse at speed.

I shot low down to emphasise the size of the lighthouse towering above and also to use some of the rocks and driftwood that cover the beach. Sheltering the camera from the wind with my body I used a circular polarising filter to enhance the blue of the sky and the green of the vegetation in the dunes, a 2 stop hard edged grad against the sky to make sure the clouds weren't too bright and finally a Lee Big Stopper to extend the exposure to nearly two minutes, this gave the sky the feeling of energy.

Spurn Point Lighthouse Long Exposure. by mark_mullen, on Flickr

I think that's superb!

The positioning of the stake in the beach relative to the lighthouse gives a nice lead in.

Nice rich colours in the sand as well!

Very strong shot, nicely composed, great colour contrast and fine movement in the clouds. An all around winner for me!

Works for me, good comp and intelligent use of filters.

Thanks all.

Straycat, I started with the CPL, that is on a holder with one slot, then on a tandem ring to a two slot holder so once the CPL is fitted I've got two slots left.

First of all I lined up the CPL with liveview, then added a grad. Took a test exposure to check shutter speed, then added the Big Stopper last. I took 3 exposures in total, in 2 of them the sun went behind cloud during the exposure which made the sand too dark, on this, the third the sun stayed out for the whole exposure which is what I wanted.

Cracking shot! Agree with Steve on the lead in created by the stake - really well composed and the movement of the clouds creates so much energy in comparison to the stillness on the ground. Really like it!

Back