North England Spurn Point - Parking?

Name
Adrian
Edit My Images
No
Hi

I'm planning on a dawn trip to Spurn Point tomorrow as I have a rare day off and the weather/tides look to be OK!

Can anyone tell me the best place to park and from there how long would it take for me to walk to the lighthouse area?

Cheers all!

Normally you can drive right down to the parking area at the end, it is a rough old road, broken in places and you won't want anything too low, a standard car will manage it OK though.

That said the last I heard the road had been broken up by a high tide and was closed to traffic, and that was before last week's storm surge, which won't have helped. I'd check with the Yorkshire Wildlife Trust, who run Spurn, on the current state of the road.

If you've got to walk it is a good couple of miles each way.

Thanks Mark

That's good to know. I'll see if I can contact them this PM. If not I'll add 30-45 mins for walking

Adrian

Last edited:
That release is a few weeks old though, which is why I'd recommend checking, you might be in luck.

Ah, right. Thanks for the heads up.

As you thought Mark, it appears no parking on the point - apparantly last week's storm surge has also caused damage according to items on the intenet. i can't get through on the phone so will assume that's still the case.
I'll leave a little bit earlier and park at the Blue Bell and walk down.

After reading a few news articles on the web last night I decided a dawn trip would not be clever/safe due to the recent storm surge damage and literally not knowing what to expect.

Having arrived mid morning, the road was closed at the Blue Bell café. The café and caravan site had clearly sustained significant damage last week and the fields/roads were covered with a thick layer of sludge/mud :(

I bit the bullet and using the tripod as a make shift walking stick waded through the flooded road. It was eerily quiet and the surge had taken more of the road away. There was a caterpillar track digger clearing the sand from the road and there were quite a few pilons down/damaged.

I didn't see one other person on the point apart from seeing the RNLI guys driving up and down the beach - not much wildlife about either mainly due to migration I guess?

I plodded on and made it to the lighthouse but it felt a bit of a trek in my wellies and the difficult walking conditions - it was around 3 1/2 miles and took me an hour and a bit . The light started to fade so I packed up and started to head back knowing It would take me at least an hour back. Luckily I blagged a lift for part of the return journey in the RNLI Land Rover - great guys and extra donation in their tin next time I'm passing one.

Managed to get a few shots - hopefully a few keepers - I'll try and sort a few over the next week.

Last edited:
Good stuff nice info was thinking of making a trip over their myself looks like might be better leaving it a while. Look forward to seeing the shots

Sent from my HTC One using Talk Photography Forums mobile app

Yes, I'd certainly wait a few weeks. The other thing was that everywhere was also strewn with plastic bottles and debris washed up by the see :(

Sorry jumping in an old thread - does anyone know the current condition of spurn point? Tried calling a few times but can't get through, i imagine the gates are closed still but are walkers from the car park still welcome? Thanks in advance (y)

No you need to park were the toletsvare as the gates a 're locked and with just over or walk on the beach side , hope it helps. Remarkable what's happens to the road

No you need to park were the toletsvare as the gates a 're locked and with just over or walk on the beach side , hope it helps. Remarkable what's happens to the road
Thanks for this i imagined pipework and all sorts being exposed so wasn't sure if they'd perhaps sealed off walkers access too - Will go one morning and see the damage thanks again!

Lewis

As Paul says. When I was there the parking near the toilets /caravans was flooded so I parked on the road opposite.

Be prepared for a long walk and to be safe wear wellies? The walk is around 4 miles to the lighthouse and an hour so watching the tide times is really important too!

Yeah I agree. Make sure you get tide times , I'm glad I checked or I would of got caught out

Back