Spyder5 Express with Windows 10 issue

Edit My Images
Yes
I got a Spyder5 Express monitor calibration tool at Christmas time. The computer is Windows 10 64-bit with the latest updates including the Fall Creators Update. The first time I ran the calibration there was no visible change on the screen at all.

I had a look on the Datacolor website and found a knowledge base article saying this is a known issue with Win10 and that Creators Update:

http://support.datacolor.com/index....ed-view-at-the-end-of-the-calibration-process

I did as it said, removed the driver and calibration software, removed all the other stuff, reinstalled and did the calibration again. This worked, now the screen colours looked quite different and more natural. Now though, I can't switch between calibrated and uncalibrated profiles, or rather I can but they don't look any different. So I'm not sure if what I'm seeing is the calibrated view (and I've just gotten used to it) or it's gone back to non-calibrated. I don't want to have to remove and reinstall the software again to check.

Datacolor apparently haven't been able to reproduce the issue so there's no fix and I already have the latest version of the software (5.2 for Windows). Has anyone else seen this issue and maybe found anything else that will help, short of going through the whole reinstall process again?

Subscribed to see what others respond.

FWIW I have not done a re-cal since the MS update but having said that I am using the Spyder 3 Elite and obviously earlier software v.4.0.2

If you run a calibration you get the option to see what it looks like compared to the none calibrated profile at the end. Have you tried that? I also noticed the last time I did mine the changes being made during the calibration.
After having to reinstall windows 10 again last week after yet another crash I had to go to device manager and switch the display on even though it was working for spyder to load properly try that as well.

Thanks, I think I maybe wasn't sufficiently clear in my first post.

When I ran it the first time, switching between calibrated and non-calibrated profiles made no visible change to the display. That's what got me thinking "this can't be right". Then I looked on the Datacolor website and found the KB article which I followed the procedure in. After all that, the calibration worked and changed the colours on the display and at that point I could happily switch between the two.

Since then (after the first reboot since successful calibration), attempting to switch between the two profiles makes no change at all to the display. I don't know if I've just got used to the change in colours or if it's not actually applying the calibrated profile (it says it does though) and I'm back to seeing the uncalibrated colours I'd been looking at for a few years since I got the screen.

I could go through that process in the KB article again but I don't want to have to do it every time I need to recalibrate and since Datacolor haven't published a fix yet I just wondered if anyone here had come up with a solution...

I had a similar problem when I installed a new graphics card. The graphics card had it's own calibration that was running along side the spyder profile. If this is causing your problem remove any graphics card software that isn't the main driver also make sure your graphics card doesn't update automatically. In my situation the problem came back each time the card updated it's software. Also make sure the spyder profile is the only one loaded by windows and you don't have monitor and other profiles running alongside it.

Ah that's interesting, thanks for that. I have an AMD graphics card with the control panel software installed, I've never set any calibration with that but I'll have a look. What type of card did you have that gave you problems?

Regarding the profiles offered by Windows, in the Windows 10 Display settings screen it didn't show any colour profiles at all until I first managed to successfully run the calibration with the Spyder tool. At that point I had two profiles, one calibrated and one not and could swap between them. They're still there now but changing does nothing, just as changing them from the little S icon in the system tray does nothing.

It was an nvidia card but if it's a similar problem it will be the control panel software causing the issue.

Try removing all the profiles and all the graphics card software. The reinstall just the graphics card driver or use the windows driver and then run the calibration. If that works you can investigate how to add back your graphics card software with upsetting anything if you actually need it.

When I had the graphics card software installed the spyder said it was all successfully calibrated but everything had a greeny/brown look.

I got a Spyder5 Express monitor calibration tool at Christmas time. The computer is Windows 10 64-bit with the latest updates including the Fall Creators Update. The first time I ran the calibration there was no visible change on the screen at all.

I had a look on the Datacolor website and found a knowledge base article saying this is a known issue with Win10 and that Creators Update:

http://support.datacolor.com/index....ed-view-at-the-end-of-the-calibration-process

I did as it said, removed the driver and calibration software, removed all the other stuff, reinstalled and did the calibration again. This worked, now the screen colours looked quite different and more natural. Now though, I can't switch between calibrated and uncalibrated profiles, or rather I can but they don't look any different. So I'm not sure if what I'm seeing is the calibrated view (and I've just gotten used to it) or it's gone back to non-calibrated. I don't want to have to remove and reinstall the software again to check.

Datacolor apparently haven't been able to reproduce the issue so there's no fix and I already have the latest version of the software (5.2 for Windows). Has anyone else seen this issue and maybe found anything else that will help, short of going through the whole reinstall process again?

hi 8bit! I got the issue too! i reformatted my pc and swtiched into windows 10 yesterday! and when i do the calibration process. I cant see any changes to my PC color screen! but i can choose profiles but still. There is no changes at all! I just want to ask if i do what you did! will my spyder express 5 will work too? is your printed photos are alike with the colors u made on your pc? Thanks! Pls reply asap!

Hi Kevin, so I eventually ditched the official Datacolor software and used a third party tool called DisplayCAL. It works with various calibration tools and gives more features than the Spyder5Express (basically you get the features you'd have to pay extra for the better Spyder versions as the upgrades are all in software). DisplayCAL is also free and the calibration thing that sits in the system tray and applies the settings on startup works much better.

The software is a bit tricky to set up and use but I found a good tutorial on Youtube that helped massively, I'll dig out the link and post it over the weekend. I was never very happy with the calibration from the official Datacolor software, to my eye the calibration from DisplayCAL looks much more neutral and the prints I've done since calibrating it look as close as possible to the screen image, from what I can see.

Back