Square Filters - a question of which system ?

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
No
Hi guys, in a bit of a quandary and hoping someone can help. I now use 2 main systems, that being Olympus M4/3 and Fuji X, having recently sold all my Nikon FF gear.

I had acquired some Lee 100mm filters when I was shooting FF, they being the Lee 100mm Holder, various wide angle adapter rings, 0.9 ND Hard Grad, 0.6 ND hard grad, 0.6 ND Soft grad, Landscape Polariser, Little and Big Stoppers.

Also recently my wife bought me the NISI V5 holder system (which I can use the lee filters in) so that I could use Phil Noton's 3D Printed adapter for my Olympus 7-14 F2.8 Pro lens (which works great by the way) and use the 100mm system with that lens. That holder also included their rotatable circular polariser (which fits inside the holder).

Separately, and mainly when I was only shooting M4/3 I also started to invest in the Lee Seven5 system, and so far have the following:

Lee Seven5 Holder, various adapter rings, 0.9 ND Hard grad, 0.9 ND Soft grad, 0.6 ND soft grad, Little and big stoppers.

I like the Seven5 system as it's so small and much easier to carry in a small backpack in the lee filter case than the 100mm system. Sure it vignette's a little wide open on my Fuji 10-24 (OK at 12mm), and I obviously can't fit it to my Olympus 7-14 Pro lens, but you will see from the above, the one thing I am missing is a Seven5 system polariser. These (for their size) are hideously expensive and quite often more than the 100mm landscape polariser ! So basically I've now reached a cross road. Do I continue with the Seven5 system and purchase the £200 polariser, or do away completely with the Seven5 in favour of the bigger 100mm system ?

Advantages I can see is that the 100mm system will fit all my lenses including the Olympus 7-14, and won't vignette on the Fuji 10-24, and I already have 2 polarisers.

Downsides are the bigger system is obviously much more bulky and thus more "difficult" to carry in a relatively small back pack. There's also the argument that the Seven5 system was specifically designed for the smaller APS-C and M4/3 sensors and theoretically the graduations are tailored to these smaller sensors, whereas the 100mm system filter graduations, are designed for full frame sensors.

To add insult to injury, I just received the SRB Photographic catalogue though the post, and they are now producing their own 85mm system called the Elite system. These are very competitively priced (massively cheaper than Lee) and have the advantage that being 85mm size, you can use SRB's own cheap filters (unknown quality to me), the Cokin P sized filters or indeed the Formatt Hitech range of filters in the same holder.

What would you guys do in my position please ?

Personally I will keep the 100mm system because it works on anything. I don't think the bulk is an issue, is not like you carrying the 70-200 and 24-70.

If you want to use the 10-24 without vignetting, then 100mm on wide angle ring is the minimum you can use - however, if you don't mind being creative, then you can still use your Seven5 filters on it at 10mm, you just have to ditch the holder as per:

Ageing by Alan Jones, on Flickr

Seven 5 Big Stopper @ 10mm.

I've just sold up my Seven 5 system though to concentrate on 100mm filters though as I'd rather be able to shoot hands free with them! The filters still occupy the same filter pouch I kept the Seven5s in so not like I'm losing any extra space.

100mm system all the way, future proofs you a bit as well!

BUT the 100mm grads are going to be next to useless on the M4/3 and pretty poor on the APSC as the gradient covers too large an area.

As for a polariser for the Seven5 system, could you not use a screw on one with it. Yes it will cause vignetting at wider angles, but how often do you use a polariser that wide, can really mess up the sky with wide shots.

BUT the 100mm grads are going to be next to useless on the M4/3 and pretty poor on the APSC as the gradient covers too large an area.

As for a polariser for the Seven5 system, could you not use a screw on one with it. Yes it will cause vignetting at wider angles, but how often do you use a polariser that wide, can really mess up the sky with wide shots.

Please explain Steve, first Ive heard of this

I seem to be ok with them

Surely the graded part doesn't change in dimension as the viewed scene through the lens doesn't change in terms of scale.

The only thing that should change (imo) would be the size of the filter ie more filter at the edges only to make up for any gaps at the edges?

Lee have recently brought out some grads with very hard edges, which on smaller formats would be fine. I agree though sometimes you have to buy for the system you are using.

Please explain Steve, first Ive heard of this

I seem to be ok with them

Do you only use them with wide angles, for that you will probably get away with it, but if you zoom in at all, you will only be using a very small area of the filter and see very little gradation in the area of the filter you are using.
Taking the 10-24mm on APSC as an example, to cover the full area at 10mm, you will probably need the 100mm filters, but zoom in to 24mm and the area of the filter used will be very small and the sharper gradient of the Seven5 system would be the better option.
Unfortunately, it's all a compromise, I'm not sure there is a perfect system designed yet.

Hmm, decisions.........

I actually did wonder if it was possible to use a screw in polariser filter directly in front of the lens (obviously not the 7-14mm), then screw the Lee seven5 adapter ring into the front of that ?

Not sure if that would work or not ?

Hmm, decisions.........

I actually did wonder if it was possible to use a screw in polariser filter directly in front of the lens (obviously not the 7-14mm), then screw the Lee seven5 adapter ring into the front of that ?

Not sure if that would work or not ?

Yes it will work, though I will be honest it is a bit of a fiddle.
You would need to set the polariser first then position your grad for example after without altering the polariser.
Not all polarisers have external threads, so thats another thing to be aware of.

EDIT : Also moving the filter holder further from the front of the lens will increase vignetting.

Last edited:
Back