Square root symbol?

Nod

Tootles
Name
Nod (UK)
Edit My Images
Yes
I've tried the Alt+ 251 method and get ¹ and the other suggested method (Alt+ 221A or 8730) did nothing. Not something I want or need often but it would be handy to know! Likewise the infinity symbol. Both easy enough in Word but not so easy on the forum!

∞ and √ normally give you ∞ and √, but the Xen software won't resolve them.
Having a symbols.html file on your desktop you can cut/paste stuff from works.

Quicker (even for me!) to type infinity or Square root!

I'm sure there are lots of work arounds but I was hoping to be able to do it as easily as I can °.

Entering 221a then pressing ALT+X works in Word for me, but not on here. Same for ALT+8730 which works on Word but on here it produces this →

However, if I do ALT+8730 on Word I can then copy and paste it into there like so: √

221a is hexadecimal for the decimal 8730 - and, as you say, neither works on the forum!

I guess a copy and paste is the only solution?

The reason its not working is it depends on the font, use character map to find the symbol in the specific font you want.
Also there is an odd windows quirk which means it only works if you use the num pad when typing the numbers.

Yup, using a "proper" keyboard rather than a laptop one (and even then, using f11 enables number lock to use whichever keys correspond to the numbers like a number pad [IIRC]).

As I said, it's no real problem, just that I would rather use an easy shortcut than faff around with C&P from elsewhere and I'd rather type the description out in full than go through the faff as well!

Back