Review SRB 10 Stop ND Filter

Edit My Images
No
After seeing some 10 stop ND filter shots I decided to take the plunge and go with the holy grail of 10 stops the Lee Big Stopper.
Unfortunately the waiting list is a few months so whilst waiting I thought I'd try out some of the cheaper competition

To this end I bought a screw on one from SRB Photographic for £30 which is 3 times cheaper than the Lee. The buying process was online through their website and delivery was in around a week.
Well I'm pleased to report that this filter provides great results (y)
There is a slight red colour cast but I think a colour cast of some sort is par for the course with any 10 stop from what I've read.
The screw fitment is also very easy to locate and I have not noticed any vignetting to speak of and this is with the filter screwed on to an existing UV filter on the lens albeit my lens is only 17mm at its widest angle.

I still don't really like the screw in filters for 10 stop purposes though as it is a bit of a pain constantly screwing and unscrewing it to refocus and compose your shot as its so dark it's not possible to do so with it fitted. Also the lens diameter restriction with the screw in sometimes means buying a new one if you upgrade your lens

Overall for £30 I don't think you can go wrong with the SRB as a starter filter

Back