SRB ON-it monopod?

ChrisR

I'm a well known grump...
Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
I've been trying to replace my Manfrotto Compact Advanced monopod, mainly because I don't like the little wheel at the top that is supposed to make it easier to lock the monopod onto your camera. I use a 234RC tilt head, but I find I can't lock the monopod on, it's continually coming loose and needing to be tightened. At the Photography Show I was very taken with the Vanguard Veo AM-204 monopod,and bought one. However I've realised that it is longer than the existing monopod when folded down, which is annoying.

So I've been looking for alternatives of the order of 350 gm weight and 40 cm folded, and from that point of view the SRB On-it monopod seems to fit the bill. Has anyone used one? In particular I'd like to know how easy the twist locks are to use; some of the tripods and monopods I tried at the show seemed to require a lot of turns to get them to lock or unlock.

Anyone got one?

I don't have the monopod but I do have an SRB On-it carbon fibre tripod bought at the photography show a couple of years ago the leg locks on this are fine not needing undue pressure to secure,
I would assume the monopods are much the same.

I don't have the monopod but I do have an SRB On-it carbon fibre tripod bought at the photography show a couple of years ago the leg locks on this are fine not needing undue pressure to secure,
I would assume the monopods are much the same.

Thanks Bob, that's good news. Do they need much of a turn to lock? The really great thing that persuaded me to buy the Vanguard (and perhaps blinded me to its length) is that the locks only require a quarter turn!

Thanks Bob, that's good news. Do they need much of a turn to lock? The really great thing that persuaded me to buy the Vanguard (and perhaps blinded me to its length) is that the locks only require a quarter turn!
A little more perhaps a third.

Thanks Nik, just slightly heavier than either of my current (aluminium!) ones, and I'm a bit worried by the 6 sections as well.
they do alu versions and different amount leg sections as well. the locks are fantastic on them. ive one of their tripods as well very solid

Thanks Nik, just slightly heavier than either of my current (aluminium!) ones, and I'm a bit worried by the 6 sections as well.

Worry not - there is the P324 model. I have had it's bigger brother (P424) for some years and it is a great piece of kit!

https://www.castlecameras.co.uk/sirui-p-324-monopod

Though phone them to check stock as these are becoming hard to get.

I bought a SRB On-It monopod in the end and it's very good. Compact when folded, light and feels very solid. The twist clamps only need a fraction of a turn. It does come with a 3/8" screw (there may be a way of reversing this but I haven't looked) but that's OK as I've put an Arca Swiss compatible clamp on it. At first I was using it with a Sirui tilt head and clamp; this adds a little height and is excellent with this. Today I trid a Haoge clamp, with a SRB L-bracket on the camera, and I'd say it was a little short for me. Nevertheless I think I preferred the handling with the L-bracket.

Back