sRGB or Adobe RGB in camera setting?

Name
Martin
Edit My Images
Yes
Do you have a preference on setting this in camera?

If so, is there a particular reason for it.

As far as I`m aware, doesn`t the adobe rgb have a wider range or color, or is that a load of nonsence?

Do you have a preference on setting this in camera?

If so, is there a particular reason for it.

As far as I`m aware, doesn`t the adobe rgb have a wider range or color, or is that a load of nonsence?

Most people tend to leave it on sRGB afaik - but I'm not a colour expert by any means! Check out a member on here by the name of pxl8 (I think!) - he is your man and has a link in his signature to a good explaination of the different issues involved. (y)

If you are printing straight off, then SRGB will do, because the printer settings will not reach the wider gamut of Adobe RGB.

If you are working on your pictures, even a little bit, and if you want the very best out of them, then use Adobe RGB. If you use Adobe and don't work on them, you lose nothing that you wouldn't have done with the other system anyway....so really, Adobe is the better route, but sRGB will still provide good pictures.

But if you are shooting in RAW it don't matter 'till you convert to jpeg or whatever because that's when you make the choice.

I have mine set to Adobe...not that it matters because I shoot in RAW anyway.
Howver, on export from RAW to TIFF, I'm set to Adobe, and only convert to sRGB for the final web version :)

`Scuse the ignorance, why convert to sRGB for web use?

Because it is more widely accepted by web browsers, there are only a few browsers that would actually use the Adobe profile if it was embedded, so therefore unless you want your pictures to appear quite different under different browsers it is just generally accepted to use sRGB for web use.

There a bit of misinformation here. Choosing sRGB or AdobeRGB depends on your intended output. The rule of thumb is; Web or computer use then choose SRGB. Printing then choose AdobeRGB. The reason for this is that AdobeRGB has a wider colour gamut, which is the range of colours it can display. It's not to say that it can display MORE colours (as that depends on the image bit depth) simply a wider range of colours.

So you might think that AdobeRGB is better? Well, it's not quite that simple. Most monitors are unable to display the full range of colours that AdobeRGB offers. This means that if you display an AdobeRGB image on a monitor outside a colour managed program, such as a web browser, you will get something called Gamut clipping. This results in the extremes of colour being clipped off, meaning the image will looked washed out and unsaturated. Another issue is that because the AdobeRGB spreads its colours over a wider range, you can end up with banding, especially on graduations of colour, such as skies. To avoid this, you need to up the bit depth.

So sRGB is better? Nope, as you are wasting potential colour range if you are outputting to a device that has a wider gamut than sRGB. So when printing, you are probably better using AdobeRGB where you can maximise the extremes of colour for a more vivid image.

That's the basics of the issue; The best colour mode depends on the intended output and the image itself. Hope that helps. :)

If you were to use DPP, or Photoshop for a final conversion to jpeg, would it matter if A RGB was chosen, if the final output is for monitor/web. Is the conversion going to loose detail?

Edit:
Ok, not more colours, just a wider range.
So (just picking a number) still 65k possible colours, but for each colour, the range of values might not be 30-220, but instead 0-250, in percentages (well, you know what I mean) of black to white.

So if you have a highly different picture, then the A RGB is best, but, if there is a simple grey image, then there will be less 'detail' in the greys in the middle.

Edit2:
I think I will have to have a play today.

I use sRGB in camera and leave it as that, if you do a comparison test between the two you'll need good eyes to spot the difference.

Mark

A good thread this!

I shoot RAW but have both the camera and Photoshop set to sRGB. This is only because if they are not set to the same, every time I load the image in to Photoshop it asks me what I want to do. If they are both the same, it just opens it.

So....

Given that Adobe has a wider range of colours for printing, is it a reasonable plan to work in Adobe and save a separate copy for use on the web. There is a "Save for Web" facility on Photoshop which I understand optimises the image for use on the web. I suspect (although I don't know) that that has the effect of converting the Adobe colour space into effectively an sRGB setting for web use. Although I am only guessing.

My camera is set for Adobe RGB, it is just one less change to make when I edit before printing the image. I only change low res images to sRGB for web use. One thing to note is if you use an online printing service, to confuse things, they usually use sRGB.

I use sRGB in camera and leave it as that, if you do a comparison test between the two you'll need good eyes to spot the difference.

Mark

In Photoshop? There shouldn't be a difference at all as Photoshop is colour managed. If you put an AdobeRGB image on the internet though (except in Safari as that is colour managed as well) you will end up with a dull looking image due to gamut clipping.

A good thread this!

I shoot RAW but have both the camera and Photoshop set to sRGB. This is only because if they are not set to the same, every time I load the image in to Photoshop it asks me what I want to do. If they are both the same, it just opens it.

You can set Photoshop to automatically convert an image to any colour space you want. ;)

So....

Given that Adobe has a wider range of colours for printing, is it a reasonable plan to work in Adobe and save a separate copy for use on the web. There is a "Save for Web" facility on Photoshop which I understand optimises the image for use on the web. I suspect (although I don't know) that that has the effect of converting the Adobe colour space into effectively an sRGB setting for web use. Although I am only guessing.

Yeah you could do this. I prefer not to use save for web though as it strips the exif data (not sure if you can change this). So I just use normal save as and save as a JPG. Before this though I use Edit>Convert to profile to convert the image to the relevant colour space. There shouldn't be any practical difference working in either colour space, as long as it ends up in the right one for the output device.

I'm dissapointed.

Tripod was set up, flash gun set to E-TTl, camera set to manual, focus set to manual. Two images were taken, 1 set to sRGB, 1 set to adobe RGB

Top left
Adobe RGB converted in DPP
Top left middle
sRGB converted in DPP
Top right middle
aRGB converted in PS CS2
Top Right
sRGB converted in PS CS2

The bottom images, are the same images, save from PS CS2 as Save for web, then re-opened and copied into the picture

Maybe it is me, but no two images are the same. If there was nothing to compare them with, I couldn't tell the difference, but next to each other, there are obvious differences

Not that that helps at all really with the question. The top two left are the closest to reality. They are both DPP, sRGB and aRGB. There appears to be more colour, just, in the mugs of the aRGB, but not a lot (the blue/green is more visible).

As has previously stated the colour range of Adobe RGB is wider than sRGB. However if your monitor, and or printer can't resolve these colours it's probably not much use in using these in day to day use.

However if you want to future proof your images, by all means save in Adobe RGB but convert to sRGB for normal working.

Working in colour spaces larger than your output devices , monitors or printers, can lead to some anomalies especially with saturated colours.

It's an interesting test, if you have Photoshop, to save images from the camera in Adobe RGB. The use the convert to profile option and select sRGB. Using the edit option switch between the two. Can you see any difference on the monitor.

It's an interesting test, if you have Photoshop, to save images from the camera in Adobe RGB. The use the convert to profile option and select sRGB. Using the edit option switch between the two. Can you see any difference on the monitor.

Yes. There is a change. Just. The shadow/blur changes, slightly. Can't say how exactly, but at the point of clicking, there is a noticable update on the screen, of SOME areas.
But that wasn't what I was worried about now really. It was the fact that saving the files as web, changes the image, and that the ACR cannot be trusted to open the image 'properly' either (by properly, I mean in a consistent manner, if I open the image in rawstudio, it appears to be consistent with DPP).

We all shoot and save everything in Adobe RGB because the Imperial War Museum (who administer the National Image Archive where all our images ultimately end up) asked us to...

Befehl ist Befehl as they used to say around here...

Back