SSD portable drive.

Name
Gary
Edit My Images
No
I've recently bought a 500GB Samsung T3 SSD. Connected it to my laptop via USB 3 and just to test it put a 4GB folder of photographs on it and then drag and dropped the folder onto the desktop. The download speed was 1.4 GB/S which is way in advance of the tested speed of this drive.

Did it again and same result. Ejected the drive and then reconnected and it transferred at 360MB/S which is more in keeping with tested result. Eject again and it's back to 1.4GB again. Tried a different USB port and same results. I'm not complaing just wondering how it can transfer at those speeds.

Might be worth checking the results and seeing if it's actually Gb/s rather than GB/s that's being reported.

Tried again and it starts at 1.5 GB/s and then drifts down to 750MB/s. Takes 5 seconds to down load the 4.2 GB folder to the desktop.

Googled it without much success so it is what it is.

If you are doing a straight copy and then copy back then I wouldn't be surprised if the laptop was doing some RAM cacheing; seeing some of the files are identical to what it already has in memory from the first copy action and just writing that. A cleaner test would be to copy, reboot and then copy back.

TRIM won't work over USB so over time the external SSD will slow down, depending on how good its chipset is at garbage collection.

John.

Oh well whatever it's doing, even at it's slowest speed it's still worth the money. It's tiny and I might even get another.

I know ;)

Others may not have though

One (now ex) member used to make a habit of using b, B, m and M as though the case didn't matter. With b and B, it's "only" a factor of whatever bit depth whereas there are a few orders of magnitude of difference between a mB and a MB.

He/she/it has many replacements though. I commented to someone recently that I wasn't surprised he found the data transfer slow when it was only millibits per second.

Back