ssd problem.

Name
mark
Edit My Images
Yes
hi all, was having a problem with a noisy hard drive, so rather than it failing on me, I bought a new samsung evo ssd, fallowed the software that
came supplied with it, cloned the drive, its seen in my pc, and in boot, but getting a no OP system found when trying to boot from it, any idea
what i have done wrong? all seems to be transferred over when i open it. thanks

A proper 'clone' of the old drive should fit everything 'as was' on the new drive, ready to go so I can only assume that either something has gone wrong with the cloning or the software isn't working as expected.
I haven't used cloning software supplied by the manufacturer but have used Macrium Reflect Free, which did it perfectly, assuming you have the old drive still completely intact, why not start again using Macrium Reflect Free, it's pretty easy to use.

It may be worth checking your bios settings too.
The chances are that your bios is set to IDE for your storage controllers as the default setting
I'm pretty sure SSD drives prefer AHCI over IDE for the controller settings., however the setting should be changed prior to the installation of an SSD.

Might be worth checking your bios and switching to AHCI then trying again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like it's either the cloning process wasn't successful or the machine is looking at another disk to boot.

Use macrium reflect free for the cloning in the first instance and make sure you have no other drives connected and your bios is set to boot from the new disk in the second instance.

As stupar says you should ideally have your sata controller set to ahci otherwise the SSD will be slow. But you normally have to set this before the windows install to stop blue screen on boot. Or you can make a registry change prior to swapping the disk.

yes mate,

Acronis True Image 2018 is £34:99 (there is a trial option but with limitations, should at least show if there are any compatibility issues), easy to use and reliable ... also serves as an alternative scheduled backup system.

Do you have any other drives connect to the machine? If you do remove the connection.

Try the new HD, if this does not work, format the SSD, and retry the copy using the Samsung software.

I have done this for a friend for her Acer machine and it worked well, it was on Win 7 as opposed to Win 10.

Back