St Kilda

Edit My Images
Yes
So I just spent 2 weeks helping out with the sheep project on St Kilda... amazing place, didn't have much time for photography in between all the sheep wrangling and drinking, but thought I'd give you a little taster of the sort of stuff I'll hopefully be doing more of over the next 3 years, as I'll be out there 3-4 times a year for my PhD which I'm about to start.

10 shot pano (not perfect I know, shooting panos at 20mm is tricky!):

Village Bay, Hirta, St Kilda:

Hirta_by_HairyToes.jpg

Good 'morning' from Australia Tom. What an immediately impressive image, taking pano photography to the next level. Startlingly 3D and instantly recognisable as one of the finest landscapes I have ever seen (and I have seen a few). And finally, catching that rainbow is just too damned cool mate!

It is a stunning photo, Tom. Good luck on the Ph.D.---finished my just a mere 22 years ago, almost to the day.

Part of me says this is over-processed, but the whole is greater than the sum of its parts in this particular case. There are few photos I'd pay for, but this is one.

Enlighten me...a poor American. Where is St. Kilda?

Last edited:
Great shot Tom. We spent a week on a boat last year trying to get out to St Kilda but the weather was against us and we never made it. Would love to try again.

Thanks for the comments for far everyone.

It is a stunning photo, Tom. Good luck on the Ph.D.---finished my just a mere 22 years ago, almost to the day.

Part of me says this is over-processed, but the whole is greater than the sum of its parts in this particular case. There are few photos I'd pay for, but this is one.

Enlighten me...a poor American. Where is St. Kilda?

http://www.kilda.org.uk/

It's a tiny archipelago stuck way out in the Atlantic off the west coast of Scotland.

I'm aware the processing might be a touch strong for some, but I can never help myself :LOL:

It's beautiful! - it would be perfect if the tops of the clouds were included but wow, it's stunning!

Superb i would love to see some more shots i to have been toying with going out there after seeing this shot it's now a must do
Regards
Lost

Commented about this on OCUK - but thought it's that good i'd do it here too.

fantastic :)

Beautiful place, great shot, viewpoint is excellent and the processing works a treat.

I like it.

Cracking shot.

Hi tom

wow this place look like paradise. This is a really strikingly beautiful shot. The pp is really nicely done although in my opinion a touch over cooked especially on the sky.

Cheers

Ewan

Thanks for the further comments :)

I'm very pleased this shot came off, as I said I didn't make much time for photography during the trip, but knew this was the one view I really needed to get in. On the last day there were very few sheep caught, and so we got the afternoon off and I snuck away up to the top of the island's highest peak for this. The weather was ridiculous, literally 1 minute before taking this I was being drenched by huge sheets of rain coming in sideways on gale-force gusts of wind.... you can see the showers all across the bay. I had very little time before the next squall hit so just composed very quickly and fired off shots handheld.

Great shot and I love the small rainbow off the island in the water just superb, get this blown up and on a wall. This small will never do it justice

I need to learn how to do panos... fab shot mate... your so lucky to be getting away from the rat race!

That is one fabulous picture!

Having said that, in my opinion the colours are just a little too saturated, and perhaps you could open up the shadow area in the left foreground?

I had the chance to go to St Kilda a few years ago, and I turned it down. More fool me!

Get it printed and hung on a wall. It's too nice to be stuck on a hard drive.

Now that is stunning! It makes me want to go there, and see it for myself :D

Well done Tom, a lovely lovely image :clap:

Back