St Maarten

Must have been a great experience, if the shots were mine I would have to level the horizon and do something with that blokes barnet that creeps in a few times at the bottom!

Must be pretty awesome standing under a 747 coming in that low!

Just one comment, could you not have gone over to the other side so the light was a bit more with you?

My reaction at the time was "holy "%$£", definitely worth experiencing

You're spot on about positioning, I realised that as the KLM was on approach but had no time to do anything about it as I had a hire bike with me and the beach was absolutely packed. I arrived about 30 seconds before it appeared and I'm not good enough to notice stuff like that quickly :(. The worst of it was that having realised it I decided that there wouldn't be another nice sized plane coming in for a while so packed up to leave, then the AA appeared and it was a mad scramble to get the camera back out.

@chris, I'll sort the horizons out, also spot on.

@Phil, get to Bonaire for diving, it's awesome. Don't bother on the main island, just get a ferry out to the little island that's about a mile square to the South West. Don't even need to dive, snorkel is fine, all within about 20 yards of the beach. Apparently the second best snorkeling in the world (behind the barrier reef). I haven't been to the barrier reef, but I can tell you that on Bonaire it was superb. Swam with a turtle, barracuda, and all manor of other colourful jobbies (Parrot Fish, Angel fish etc). Basically it's 10 meters of 3 feet deep water, a reef for another 5-10 meters, then a 60 degree slope down to 1500 feet.

I had a pop off Barbados too, swimming out from a beach to join one of the tours that advertise "swim with a turtle". Waste of time, you're in 30 feet of fairly murky water with 30 other people and it's all artificial, with the boat feeding the turtles to attract them. On Bonaire it's all natural, not yet a tourist hot spot, far more intimate with the wildlife. I can't comment on St Martin, didn't snorkel there.

You're spot on about positioning, I realised that as the KLM was on approach but had no time to do anything about it as I had a hire bike with me and the beach was absolutely packed. I arrived about 30 seconds before it appeared and I'm not good enough to notice stuff like that quickly :(.

Don't have a sad face. :(

Look at it as an excuse to go back there! :D

Been there, done that, now lost the t-shirt. Yes, the best place is standing in the road alongside the Sunset Bar. I've spent many a happy hour there (in the bar) and is somewhere I'd love to return to. Thanks for reminding me :D

Back