St. Mary's Church Hitchin, B&W, HDR

Edit My Images
No
Shot of St. Mary's in Hitchin 3 exposure HDR, Nikon PCE-24mm f13

p121073565-4.jpg

quite well defined and a good piece of work in black to white
slight intrusion at left hand edge...removal or clone would add ++ to this great shot
cheers
geof

I like this one. The detail in it really pops and the HDR's not too over cooked. Perhaps a little tight on the crop would be my only crit. :shrug:

Thanks for the feedback, I agree it is cropped a bit tightly and would be better with a bit more at the top and bottom.

The PCE-24mm is a very nice lens and I would highly recommend it, I don't have the rest of the set though. I occasionally wish I had the 45 mm version but I think the 85 is mainly used for product photography. You can get into shift lens quiet cheaply though I started photographing architecture with the older PC-35mm which I brought for £150 and sold 6 months later for the same price. I then upgraded to the better 28mm PC for about £250 and then sold it a few months later to get the 24mm.

....The PCE-24mm is a very nice lens and I would highly recommend it, I don't have the rest of the set though. I occasionally wish I had the 45 mm version but I think the 85 is mainly used for product photography. You can get into shift lens quiet cheaply though I started photographing architecture with the older PC-35mm which I brought for £150 and sold 6 months later for the same price. I then upgraded to the better 28mm PC for about £250 and then sold it a few months later to get the 24mm.

Thanks for the info Andrew. I was thinking of getting the 24 for architectural work but (as you say) the 45 would probably be needed too on occasion. £2,700-ish for both is a bit much for me at the moment :crying: so I'll have to stick to my 14-24/24-70 for now and carry on using keystone correction in Photoshop - not the ideal way of doing things.

I think the older 35mm PC lens is a good substitute for the 45mm-PCE optically the difference isn't huge and the need to close the aperture manually isn't a problem once you get used to it. the 28mm PC lens is not as good as the 35mm PC and much worse than the 24mm PC-E.

I think a 24mm PC-E and 35mm PC would be a good combination for much less outlay.

The 14-24 and 24-70 are both excellent lenses but the 24mm PC-E is noticeably sharper when you get above about f/11 which is where I seem to be shooting most of the time.

There's a decent looking 35 PC on fleabay at the moment for £269 but I'm wary of buying s/h lenses without seeing them. I'd rather start with the 24 PC-E anyway so I think I'll wait til I can afford a new one. When does diffraction come in on yours - above f/16?

Diffraction limiting becomes an issue after f/16 un-shifted. I find the best compromise between DoF and corner sharpness to be f/13. May be worth getting a used 35mm PC from Ffordes where you will get a 6mnth warranty.

Last edited:
I would advise trying one before you splash out the full £1,400 though because they are a bit of a pain to use. You can only meter when the lens is unshifted and so you have to constantly return the lens to the centre to check the metering, as the light is changing and they are manual focus which often gets knocked off when you move the lens. None of it is rocket science but it slows things down an awful lot. Having said all that it is miles quicker than the 5x4 which I occasionally use.

Last edited:
Thats my local town, great church, nice shot

Crop looks fine to me, fills the frame nicely.. Bit on the left, nothing to big just a 5min job in photoshop, no worries!

Saw HDR in title... *Palm to face*

Thought i'd have a look and its done to taste, it doesn't look over done or anything, could say it doesn't look HDR, for that reason.. doesn't live up to its traits!

I notice from your EXIF that you used a D700.
Is there much limitation with the range of movement, as I thought this lens could only be used on a D3, because the overhang of the pentaprism gets in the way?
Lovely shot and processing by the way.

I notice from your EXIF that you used a D700.
Is there much limitation with the range of movement, as I thought this lens could only be used on a D3, because the overhang of the pentaprism gets in the way?
Lovely shot and processing by the way.

When you use the 24mm-PCE on a D700 you get the full range of movement in all the horizontal and vertical axis regardless, of whether the body is in Landscape or Portrait. The only problem you may have is if you want to rotate the lens while its at full shift. In this situation the lens may foul the prism housing.

Back