St Marys Church, Woburn

Gav.

Challenge Owner
Name
Gav
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

I don't normally do this type of photography, but I would like to learn how to get more from my gear and my eyes :LOL:

Had a go with the church as I've passed it a few times, but never been able to get a clear shot.

I'm happy to take C&C as always.

5D IV - EF 24mm - 1/125 - f13 - ISO 100

St Marys Church, Woburn
by Gavin Wickham, on Flickr

I recognise that Gav :)

Nice light, nicely taken.

Nice architectural capture with some good light.

Nice picture Gav. When ever I see a blue sky I want to take a picture just so I know I haven't imagined it :D

Nice shot. Is it my eyes or are the verticals over compensated?

Nice picture Gav. When ever I see a blue sky I want to take a picture just so I know I haven't imagined it :D
Thank you, Alan, I'm the same :D
Thank you, Jak, honestly, I didn't look, I'll check to see what Affinity has applied to the RAW :)

Hi, I had a look, Affinity doesn't appear to have added anything, I new to this stuff, could the angle of the shot play a part, the road I was stood on, is a fair bit lower than the church? Not a good start I know ;) I'll try with other buildings when I can get out.

If I'm missing anything, I'm happy to be corrected (y)

Oh Gav it sounds like I’m being very critical, I’m sorry.
It may be the church tower, to the right is the staircase I think, kind of makes the tower lean to the right on that side, but left on the other side? It may be that the staircase part is wider at the top than the bottom?
On the far right of the church it looks to be leaning right? I’m sure it’s my view only.
I hope that makes sense Gav?

Oh Gav it sounds like I’m being very critical, I’m sorry.
It may be the church tower, to the right is the staircase I think, kind of makes the tower lean to the right on that side, but left on the other side? It may be that the staircase part is wider at the top than the bottom?
On the far right of the church it looks to be leaning right? I’m sure it’s my view only.
I hope that makes sense Gav?
Ah, I see what you mean!

No need to be sorry! :)

Hi, I had a look, Affinity doesn't appear to have added anything, I new to this stuff, could the angle of the shot play a part, the road I was stood on, is a fair bit lower than the church? Not a good start I know ;) I'll try with other buildings when I can get out.

I think it's just that you've shot on quite a wide angle (for full frame) lens at a long, tall building, from a low angle. That's always going to be a "tough ask" for any automated perspective control correction to work on. Honestly, architectural stuff is always a nightmare - BITD I used to shoot quite a bit of it, on film, but was lucky in that I was using a camera with lens and film plane "movements" so I could get the lens plane parallel to the brickwork of the building, and had a nice big 5" by 4" ground glass finder with squares etched in for horizontal and veritical alignments. Not au-fait with Affinity software, but even my totally old/obsolete Photoshop 5 had manual lens/perspective control that might make a slightly improved job than the automated settings.

Not taking anything away from the actual photograph BTW - it's got everything it needs to be a really nice image - its just that for architecture-wonks it's just missing that final polish...

pretty much spot on - to me it almost looks like the whole church is very, very slightly hunched upwards in the middle - as I said previously, probably due to the 24mm on full frame and shooting "tilted backwards" slightly.

Lovely sunlit stonework on the church, well done for seeing it.
It looks like you had trees behind you that are casting shadows on the boundary wall. It may be worth lifting the shadows on that wall just a little to show a bit more detail in it.
Looking at this composition I wonder if you could make an image from the left of the church or from the boundary wall to exclude the boundary wall, just my thoughts

I think it's just that you've shot on quite a wide angle (for full frame) lens at a long, tall building, from a low angle. That's always going to be a "tough ask" for any automated perspective control correction to work on. Honestly, architectural stuff is always a nightmare - BITD I used to shoot quite a bit of it, on film, but was lucky in that I was using a camera with lens and film plane "movements" so I could get the lens plane parallel to the brickwork of the building, and had a nice big 5" by 4" ground glass finder with squares etched in for horizontal and veritical alignments. Not au-fait with Affinity software, but even my totally old/obsolete Photoshop 5 had manual lens/perspective control that might make a slightly improved job than the automated settings.

Not taking anything away from the actual photograph BTW - it's got everything it needs to be a really nice image - its just that for architecture-wonks it's just missing that final polish...
Thank you, Mark.
I'll do some research and have another go at this :)

Mark & @Norkie
Thank you both for pointing this out to me (y)
I thought I was getting the hang of photography, still a lot to learn :LOL::LOL:

Lovely sunlit stonework on the church, well done for seeing it.
It looks like you had trees behind you that are casting shadows on the boundary wall. It may be worth lifting the shadows on that wall just a little to show a bit more detail in it.
Looking at this composition I wonder if you could make an image from the left of the church or from the boundary wall to exclude the boundary wall, just my thoughts
Thank you, the sun was very low, the shadows were almost black on the RAW file, I'll take another look (y)
Thank you for thoughts, I will take those on board and see where I can get to with this.
Thanks again :)

Hi all

I've had a fresh start from the same RAW file, cropped slightly. This time I've switched off any auto settings linked to the lens, used the grid overlay and tweaked the settings a bit manually.

Would anyone be so kind as to advise if I've gone the right way or made a complete fool of myself :LOL:

Thank you in advance, really appreciate the feedback :)

Church retry
by Gavin Wickham, on Flickr

Back