St Mary's Lighthouse - My First

andiphoto

Knock-Off Nigel
Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
No
Hi Guys, im pretty new to the forum and i am a beginner in DSLR photography.

I took these pictures on my first outing with the camera i have a Sony Alpha 350.

Could you guys give me some feedback on my images and how i can improve my shots and also how i can tweak them in photoshop or fireworks (the only apps i have).

Last edited:
IMAGE ALERT • IMAGE ALERT

:LOL:

Andi, they are way to big to see on my screen. Also the forum rules state 800px on the longest side or the pixel :police: will come along and turn them into links

You need to resize, limit is 800 along the longest edge, Im on a 22" wide screen and cant see them all. :)

ok ill just change them to links at the mo, im currently at work and just hot linking them from my site.

Right i have done this. Could you please give me some feed back on the images now...

Thanks Guys..

Last edited:
The first Lighthouse is abit to central for my liking, but the shot seems to be OK.

The second Lighthouse I prefer as not central, couple of things though, the horison is not level in my opinion as it seems to cause the lighthouse to lean abit, also the person at the bottom is a distraction, hate it when people walk in front of the camera.

I'm afraid the third dose nothing for me at all.

The first Lighthouse is abit to central for my liking, but the shot seems to be OK.

The second Lighthouse I prefer as not central, couple of things though, the horison is not level in my opinion as it seems to cause the lighthouse to lean abit, also the person at the bottom is a distraction, hate it when people walk in front of the camera.

I'm afraid the third dose nothing for me at all.

Do you know how i could improve on my images and also what i could possibly do on photoshop to improve...

Do you know how i could improve on my images and also what i could possibly do on photoshop to improve...

Think you have improved on the first with second, from there if it was me would try to get the lighthose so its not got a lean on it next time, you could sort this in photoshop by rotating slightly and then abit of a crop, also try waiting till there is no one in the shot unless you are macking them part of it,

As for the third, hard to say some may like it, but the subject dose nothing for me so not suer how to improve it sorry.

its just the angles im taking them from.. they were all from hand (no tripod)

i just thought i would take some unusal angles to give them summit different then the boring normal pics..

thanks for the feed back mate... what do you like about that pic?

its just the angles im taking them from.. they were all from hand (no tripod)

i just thought i would take some unusal angles to give them summit different then the boring normal pics..

thanks for the feed back mate... what do you like about that pic?

I Think its the simple uncleterd view.

Nice i quite like these, you need to clean your sensor though

what do you mean, im new to all this technology... how do i clean my sensor and how do you know i need to clean it lol..

when do you tihnk is the best time to get down to the ligthhouse... ive been at sunrise and also at midday... i would love to get a pic of it when the tide is in...

I use the Quicktide tide timetables. They're not cheap at £7.99 but cover a large area and a 2 year timespan. http://norfolkcoast.co.uk/site/quicktidetablecouk/north.htm
If you could resize your images and show them in the post you might get more replies. I've got broadband and they were quite slow to load.
I like your idea of taking the shots from an unusual angle, but think maybe the angles need to be more extreme so that others can clearly see that this was your intention, rather than the slight tilt you have which looks like a simple mistake in lining up the shots.
Sensor dust is exactly that, dust that settles on the sensor and appears as little dark spots on your images. These can be cloned out in Photoshop. I don't know what version of PS you have, but in CS3/CS4 there is the Spot healing brush which makes it a doddle to remove the dust spots. If there are only one or two spots, then cloning out is probably the best way to solve the problem as sensors will always get dust on them and you will be forever trying to clean it. If it gets worse, then you will need to clean the sensor. Try a blower brush. Check your manual on how to prepare your camera for this. If a blower brush doesn't do the job then a 'wet clean' may be required, in which case, you can buy the necessary kit. Search for 'Copperhill method' on Google and look at sites like Warehouseexpress for more info. If you don't feel confident to do that then you can send your camera off for servicing.

what do you mean, im new to all this technology... how do i clean my sensor and how do you know i need to clean it lol..

yes you need to clean the sensor i can see little dark circles in the sky 1st piccy you can see them in the sky they are dust marks
there is a shop in newcastle back of eldon square cannot remember the name of it but it in the green bit out side near the monument he upstairs 3 rd floor street name Eldon square he charges a tenner to do it

Hi Andy you certainly like a different angle(y) nice shots no. 1 for me.
The sensor, I regularly give mine a clean out with the "rocket blower" but I
still have a few stubborn bits.

BTW I much prefer viewing the images in the post rather than via links, so do a few others on this forum:)

yeah i will sort these out.. its just i was at work and i had the original images uploaded on the net.. i will upload them and make them smaller soon.... you can still critique them ***..

Back