Critique St Mary's Lighthouse Whitley Bay

Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes
Taken just after sunrise yesterday morning. It was the firt time i've been down to this little cove i usually shoot from the main bay at St Mary's.
Comments welcome.

1) 1/80th // F11 // 10mm // ISO200 // cokin ND grad

2) 1/60th // F11 // 10mm // ISO200 // cokin ND grad

3) 1/80th // F11 // 10mm // ISO200 // cokin ND grad

4) 1/60th // F11 // 15mm // ISO200 // cokin ND grad

5) 1/50th // F11 // 10mm // ISO200 // cokin ND grad

6) 1/50th // F11 // 10mm // ISO200 // cokin ND grad

Thanks for looking

Nick

1 and 3 are fantastic, well done. I never seem to be so lucky with the light and clouds when I go down. Makes a change from the usual long exposure most do there as well.

They are tremendous mate!

1 and 6 are the stand outs for me. Really top notch work.
Cheers matey :) Hows your new camera treating you? or did you not go ahead with it in the end?
Absolutely brilliant. If i ever get that good i would be proud and pleased.
Thanks for the compliment, much appreciated :) although i think theres lots better than me on here!
1 and 3 are fantastic, well done. I never seem to be so lucky with the light and clouds when I go down. Makes a change from the usual long exposure most do there as well.
I couldnt believe it when i saw the clouds i just grabbed my camera and made a dash for it, hoping that it would stay nice till i got there. Luckily it did :) I thought that with it being after sunrise the contrasts between the rocks and sky would be overwhelming but it didnt turn out bad at all :)
Good strong set and nice tones in all. Good to see a different take on it too
Cheers Steve - Much appreciated :)

Someone asked if they were HDR which i was a little surpised about but looking at them i can see why someone would maybe think that.

All look great to me, the weakest being #4, nice skies and good foreground interest in 1,2 and 6.

Even though in three the lighthouse is quite central in the top third the image it works well the sky and shore line hold your interest.

The panoramic stitch might be better with the foreground completely removed?

Someone asked if they were HDR which i was a little surpised about but looking at them i can see why someone would maybe think that.

They do have that slight, shadow pulled back a bit look, slight lack of saturation and luminsoity, particularly with 5 and 6, and what it really is quality of exposure throughout (i.e nothings clipping or close too) but that gives an ever so slight flatness to it. Probably also the strong cloud cover is blocking the sun you're not getting strong shadows cast anywhere.

Me, I think its perfectky natural for the weather conditions, and you'd get more vivid shots on a day with less cloud cover

Back