Stacked Converter Series

Edit My Images
No
I shot exclusively with stacked converters today at the local pond. Some lovely light helped with the IQ and AF. I was quite pleased with the Shoveller as it was around 50 metres away and the shot is heavily cropped.
All shots 7D + 300/2.8 + 2x tc + 1.4x tc (840mm). Thanks for looking. C&C welcome.

#1 Tufted Duck - Female
tufty1.jpg

#2 Shoveller
shoveller1.jpg

#3 Coot
Coot1.jpg

#4 Tufted Duck - Female
tufty2.jpg

Last edited:
Great shots !

I like No4 the best, great background which blends well with colour of the tufty.

Any problems focussing with the stacked converters?

Great shots !

I like No4 the best, great background which blends well with colour of the tufty.

Any problems focussing with the stacked converters?
Hi Budgie, thanks for the comment.
When you stack Canon converters the Camera only sees the 2x so it thinks it is 600/5.6 (but it is really 840/8). Because the Camera is only seeing the 2x then it attempts to AF - obviously slower than normal and you do need good light and contrast but it certainly works OK. I took around three hundred shots with the Combo today and they were all auto focussed.

Really impressive, you'd never guess they were taken using stacked converters.

Hi Roy, lovely set and I like the coot personally.
Very impressed overall as I struggle with a straight lens to get a crisp shot let alone what you've used there !
Cheers
John

#1 looks the softest to me Roy but they are all impressive given that combination.

I like them all but number 4 is the best :) (IMO) I think the colours in the water really adds to the photo. What time were you shooting? Was it canon brand converters you were using? I've never used converters before and am definitely thinking about it but have heard it stops the AF... is this true for the canons?

I like them all but number 4 is the best :) (IMO) I think the colours in the water really adds to the photo. What time were you shooting? Was it canon brand converters you were using? I've never used converters before and am definitely thinking about it but have heard it stops the AF... is this true for the canons?
I shot these between 13:30 and 15:00 hours today and was using Canon tc's.

Auto focus depends on Camera and lens.

Very impressed with these, number 4 is a cracking shot and lovely light on the water. :clap:

Back