Staffordshire Miners' Memorial

simon ess

Just call me Roxanne.
Edit My Images
No
Having spent this spring and summer working on improving my macro photography, I've decided to turn my attention to landscapes.

This is today's effort, using a 10 stopper:

I took 2 shots with the intention of exposure blending, but it's just too difficult to mask round the trees. So, this is the exposure for the sky with the foreground lifted in PP. I think I'd be better off using an ND grad.

Any C+C most welcome. Thanks.

Where is that memorial??

Quite like to see a silhouette taken through the wheel with it filling the frame completely. Think you'd probably need a jet pack to do it though!

Exposure blending is a better idea. There is some good HDR software about. You could combine 3 - one metered for the foreground, one for the sky and one for a good silhouette or if you wanted more detail in the wheel. You could also experiment with a bit of flash to lift the foreground while still exposing for the sky. Would mean some running about and experimentation though.

Thanks very much for your input Suz.

This is at Apedale Country Park on the edge of Newcastle, heading towards Alsagers Bank.

I really like exposure blending, but it's just too fiddly round tree branches. I see HDR as a bit of a last resort, but I'll rethink that.

The flash idea sounds intriguing - I'll file that one away to use sometime.

Thanks again.

Very nice! Like you say, the foreground is a bit dark, but you can always go back up and re-shoot ;)

Nice shot Simon :clap:

I do think the fore ground needs a slight tweak in PP (y)

Les

Nice image love the colour of the sky well done

Very nice! Like you say, the foreground is a bit dark, but you can always go back up and re-shoot ;)

Thanks. I'm going back this evening to try an ND grad.

Nice shot Simon :clap:

I do think the fore ground needs a slight tweak in PP (y)

Les

Thanks Les. I'd already tweaked it about as far as it would go, but I agree - it's too dark.

Nice image love the colour of the sky well done

Thanks very much. I am happy with the sky (y)

Wonderful sky but that dark foreground needs lifting OR... forget it and treat it as a pure silhouette losing about 2/3 of that dark foreground?

Wonderful sky but that dark foreground needs lifting OR... forget it and treat it as a pure silhouette losing about 2/3 of that dark foreground?

Now THAT is an idea. Thanks for all the input folks.

That could be a really nice shot with HDR. Try pseudo from a single RAW and you may be surprised with the results.

OK - a couple of people have mentioned HDR, so thought I'd give it a go using a single RAW as you suggest.
Here it is.

That a good evening sky, for me Ver 2 is the better image, the HDR version for me lose a lot of the impact of the sky and the dark foreground

It's quite well done - just looks a bit unnatural for me and certainly isn't as evocative as the silhouette.

Thanks so much everyone. It's great to get such constructive feedback.

I agree, the silhouette is the best version.

I've always been wary of HDR, and it doesn't really work here, but I can see the potential if it's used with caution.

Looking at the first image, was thinking a crop from the bottom would improve, CT beat me to it :), with CT's crop it becames a very strong image, your HDR hurts me eyes :), and I agree, a ND grad would solve most of your issues here.

Back