Stair hole at lulworth

Name
Helen
Edit My Images
Yes
I thought yesterday was going to turn into a waste of time when the grey skies over Kimmeridge weren't looking promising the Tyneham village was closed to the public but I stuck with it and pottered off down to Lulworth Cove:

Pic 1
http://www.sealifethroughthelens.com/USERIMAGES/Lulworth & Wareham 054.jpg

Pic 2
http://www.sealifethroughthelens.com/USERIMAGES/Lulworth & Wareham 060.jpg

Pic 3
http://www.sealifethroughthelens.com/USERIMAGES/Lulworth & Wareham 071.jpg

Pic 4
http://www.sealifethroughthelens.com/USERIMAGES/Lulworth & Wareham 077.jpg

I was really trying to work on getting only want I needed in the frame using my 10-22mm lens - have I acheived that?

Andyman also set me a challenge lending me his 50mm lens so I had to use my feet rather than zooming in and out for composition, I have to admit I really struggled with it to start with as I was still in Wide Angle mind set but then refocussed and moved location

pic 5
http://www.sealifethroughthelens.com/USERIMAGES/Lulworth & Wareham 102.jpg

Pic 6
http://www.sealifethroughthelens.com/USERIMAGES/Lulworth & Wareham 106.jpg

Pic 7
http://www.sealifethroughthelens.com/USERIMAGES/Lulworth & Wareham 126.jpg

Pic 8
http://www.sealifethroughthelens.com/USERIMAGES/Lulworth & Wareham 032.jpg

Still out at dusk I messed around with some photos at Hamble but completely wasted the time on a poor location and composition so decided to call it a day

Passing a sign to a windmill on the way back i thought I'd have a quick look to see whether it was somewhere worth going back to on another day... Unfortuantely it's squeezed in between a load of housing but i thought I'd have a quick squizz through the camera and ended up with this:

Pic 9
http://www.sealifethroughthelens.com/USERIMAGES/Church & Hamble 083.jpg

So over to you, what can I do better? All these locations are within an hour and a half for me so will become regular spots if I can get some ideas on how to improve

PS I think my monitor needs calibrating so apologies if they're dark, they're not on mine but I have just tried to print one and it came out incredibly under exposed!

Staff Edit : Images changed to clickable links. Pictures must not exceed current forum limits as per the rules.
Please feel free to replace this with a fresh/resized image and remove this text :)

I like the first 3 or 4 and the last. My monitor is calabrated. and they don't look too dark on my screen. Having said that, if you could bring out more details in the dark area on the last shot it would be good. But I still like it.

A nice set of photographs but too large to view properly. Have to scroll to view the whole of some :)

I like the first 3 or 4 and the last. My monitor is calabrated. and they don't look too dark on my screen. Having said that, if you could bring out more details in the dark area on the last shot it would be good. But I still like it.

Just goes to show that dawn and dusk really are the majic times! I am desperately trying to open myself to shooting other times of day too though hence the middle set and the 50mm challenge!

Thanks for calibration check, must be my cheap printer then!

Will have a fiddle around with the windmill - I'm not very good on post processing but it's gloomy outside so I have nothing better to do!

A nice set of photographs but too large to view properly. Have to scroll to view the whole of some :)

Apologies Ducky, I'm on a widescreen here and didn't think, will try and resize them :)

A great set have you done any pp on them?

Most of it is in camera, as my PP skills aren't great :( I tried to sharpen one of the middle set but couldn't really see the difference :shrug: and I tried to darken the sky on the line of boats, (you can see a sheen around the trees) only other thing I've done it adjust the exposures a little.

Love the colours in the first one Tazzie. To be honest ( I say this with a hard hat on and runing for cover!) I think a lot of people get a little hung up on all the PP side of things with photoshop etc. The beauty and real art I think is having the ability to get an almost perfect shot straight out of the camera. Yes Digitals do have thier own minds and a little sharpening and contast / brightness adjustment is needed, but that should be it I think.

The capture of the waves lapping in no 4 is great and I think the shape of the shore line helps too, but as a complete picture no 1 does it for me - captured just at the right time.

Hi Taz,

Thats an awesome set of photographs. I really like number 4. The shapes in the white water are great and I think it’s very well framed. Agreed that all I see in number 6 at the moment is the Post Process mask edge on the sky. I think this is just practise with the Lightroom local adjustment brush though. Probably you need to zoom the image and use a smaller brush to tidy up the mask edge.

Number 8 is a stunner! It has great depth and warmth. You’ve made great use of the 50mm at f1.8 here. I wondered what it might have looked like in landscape though so did a quick resize.

BoatHouse1.jpg

I love number 9. This is a great exposure. Well balanced from foreground to background. The colour temperature of the difference light sources really works well. This looks great on my calibrated monitor so I don’t think I’d fiddle with it at all. I think it needs the shadow areas.

Andy.

Love the shots of Lulworth Cove / Durdle Door. Reminds me of the filed trips I went on at uni, all around the south coast sea cliffs and round that way.

nice set i love lullworth, it always has a different mood to it depending on the time of day/year.

All very nice although I think no 4 is weakest of the set.

Have to say that the waters look so good that I have to wonder why you weren't under it rather than above it ;)

Cos it's too damn cold! I've completely lost the desire to get under the water at the moment :( and my knee getting soaked on Lulworth beach confirmed that :nuts:

Have you been in recently?

Thanks all for your comments, I was really surprised it turned into such a productive day given the gloom at 6am!

Tazzie, I quite like the pictures of Lulworth and Stair hole, yet something doesn't sit quite right...

You mention 0600 (post #13) and "most of it being in camera" (post #6)

At the moment the sun isn't above the horizon until 0750-0800 (I watch it from my kitchen window before I go to work); as it happens I was at Lulworth at 0800 on Saturday... and sunrise did not look anything like your pictures.

I am also bemused by the exposure of the east end of Stair hole. Apparently the sun was in the south east and risen, yet the top and bottom of the cliff are wildly differently exposed... it was a very grey morning and I would have thought that the whole of it would have been in what shadow there was - and there wasn't much if any shadow. I was sat on Bats Head at 10:30 and the sun was still not making shadows.

:shrug:

I haven't even seen the sea for months.

Still hopefully that will change and I'll be having regular dips in the Adriatic as Croatia is just a few hours drive away.

Ah of course, I forgot you've moved haven't you? All going well?

Tazzie, I quite like the pictures of Lulworth and Stair hole, yet something doesn't sit quite right...

You mention 0600 (post #13) and "most of it being in camera" (post #6)

At the moment the sun isn't above the horizon until 0750-0800 (I watch it from my kitchen window before I go to work); as it happens I was at Lulworth at 0800 on Saturday... and sunrise did not look anything like your pictures.

I am also bemused by the exposure of the east end of Stair hole. Apparently the sun was in the south east and risen, yet the top and bottom of the cliff are wildly differently exposed... it was a very grey morning and I would have thought that the whole of it would have been in what shadow there was - and there wasn't much if any shadow. I was sat on Bats Head at 10:30 and the sun was still not making shadows.

:shrug:

Hi Ben, I'm not trying to mislead you :thinking: To clarify if it helps...

I was at Kimmeridge at 0600 and the sky was grey as I said, determined to show a little staying power I decided to put the 50mm lens on and start Andyman's challenge instead of calling it a day and headed down to Lulworth. As I was taking the Boathouse sign and the signposts I noticed the blue skies breaking through and thought I'd go up the cliff for a walk and see the potential loaction for at better morning.

When I was up there I took a few shots with the 50mm and realised I wans't getting anyhere but as the sky was changing I popped my 10 - 22 on and my filters. When I use my ND with a grad filter it either brings out all the pinks in the sky or color casts the sky, I don't know which but i like the effect, hence "in camera"

When I went home the only processing I did was to lighten the cliffs a little to bring out some of the detail and redarken the sky to where it as before the lightening

I hope that's clarified the situation for you, I wish I had the Photoshop skills to totally change the images I have, but i don't!!

>>Hi Ben, I'm not trying to mislead you

I didn't think you were.... perhaps I am a bit autistic when it comes to details not quite adding up :D

>>When I use my ND with a grad filter it either brings out all the pinks in the sky or color casts the sky

Now that was missing from earlier - thank you for the clarification. I think perhaps the colours were what were tripping my sense of something not being quite right.

It was an evil morning for photos - even Elements messed up when trying to autolevel some pics of the cliffs by Bats Head (3 miles west of Lulworth). I did get a "Jonathon Livingston Seagull" type one, and a couple of that ship under the sun. JLS is on my Flickr.

Like I said originally , I do like the pictures, particularly the Stair Hole one with the water sloshing around in the bottom - you can almost see where I live on the horizon!

B.

Back