North England Staithes Classic Shot

Name
Barry
Edit My Images
No
Can anyone help with parking for the classic Staithes shot please, the one looking down over Staithes Beck? I know the viewpoint is up on Cowbar Lane but as I've followed the road on Google street view, there are a number of signs indicating "Permit Holders Only".

Any help or advice please?

Last edited:
Depending on mobility, how about parking in the village centre and walking up over the bridge?

Mobility IS the main problem, thanks for the help though Nod. I would love to be able to walk up the hill.:)

Maybe be a bit cheeky and drive to a suitable vantage point, take the shot(s) and leave without causing offence? Keep a blue badge visible in your windscreen and ask nicely if anyone approaches you, explaining your difficulties. But be prepared to apologise and go away if someone really gets the hump!

When you drive along the Cowbar turn off there is a free car park further along the narrow road and a reasonably short walk to get to the vantage point to overlook the beck

Yes you want to be on the Cowbar side there is a narrow turn-off close by the Boulby Mine entrance.
They want you to park a way back but it's an easy walk to the viewpoint(s).
At quiet times you might risk going beyond the no entry signs depending on your vehicle - but don't drive down beyond the first houses it is really steep and tight.
There is a turning point just before that.

If youre going for the classic sunrise, shot, just drive down to the terraced row of houses at cowbar and park up, ensuring youre not restricting any vehicles entry/exit routes. Display blue badge if you have one. No one is going to be that bothered at that time of the morning. Ive never had an issue.

Depending on mobility, how about parking in the village centre and walking up over the bridge?
I’m in Staithes at the moment - there is no parking in the village centre, you have to park in the car parks at the top of the hill.

I believe that this is the shot in question:

Staithes by Lewis Craik, on Flickr

Last edited:
I’m in Staithes at the moment - there is no parking in the village centre, you have to park in the car parks at the top of the hill.

I believe that this is the shot in question:

Staithes by Lewis Craik, on Flickr

That's a lovely shot, I've seen it a few time and I've been trying to figure out where it's taken from, I understand Cowbar Lane but can you tell me where from, or pin it on Google maps?

Thanks

To get there you go North of the main road into Staithes, down a hill and up towards the Potash mine. There is a right turn just North of a farm building on the right, take it and almost immediately turn right keeping the farm on your right. This is Cowbar Lane. There is a public car park on the left 2/3rds of way the the cottages. The walk along either Cowbar Lane or the Cleveland way foot path to get the view.
Alternatively if you are in the centre of Staithes, cross the bridge towards the RNLI station and turn left up the Hill. There is a view point.

That's a lovely shot, I've seen it a few time and I've been trying to figure out where it's taken from, I understand Cowbar Lane but can you tell me where from, or pin it on Google maps?

Thanks
It is fairly obvious once you are there - as you are walking up Cowbar Lane from the village the road goes round to the right and there is a steep set of stairs straight ahead. You go up those and it takes you to the view point.

It is fairly obvious once you are there - as you are walking up Cowbar Lane from the village the road goes round to the right and there is a steep set of stairs straight ahead. You go up those and it takes you to the view point.

Think I've spotted the view point, is this circled in red?

Attachments

• staithes.jpg
    staithes.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 25
Think I've spotted the view point, is this circled in red?
That's not the classic tripod spot
See red pin from Google Earth, the pin is where people shoot from as in post #9 above. Also in the google earth picture the Cowbar car park is shown. It's the grey area at the middle left of the picture from Google.

Attachments

• C4103510-94D6-4D28-9378-8C69000EC831.png
    C4103510-94D6-4D28-9378-8C69000EC831.png
    379 KB · Views: 16
What ST1 said, you can shoot from the easier mini view point, but it is worth the climb further up the hill/steps to get to the real viewpoint.
Screenshot 2022-08-28 at 22.23.40 Medium.jpeg

I used to visit Staithes regularly on sea fishing trips and always took a camera. These are from the bridge over Roxby Beck right down in the old part of the village. The first one is a bit tricky in that you have to align the sunrise, high tide and time of year when the boats are in the beck over the non fishing season. I think it was taken around 9:30 in May.

Cobles on Roxby Beck.JPG

The second was taken in the middle of the day. You have to climb over the bridge railings and lie on the narrow ledge to get the viewpoint.

Moorings - Staithes print.jpg

If you are in the area Saltburn-by-the-Sea is worth a visit too.

Saltburn walkway.jpg

Attachments

• Cobles on Roxby Beck.JPG
    Cobles on Roxby Beck.JPG
    57.7 KB · Views: 2
  • Moorings - Staithes print.jpg
    Moorings - Staithes print.jpg
    206.2 KB · Views: 2
  • Saltburn walkway.jpg
    Saltburn walkway.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 2
Back