Stand development question

Name
Nige
Edit My Images
No
Hello.

This is possibly a stupid question but, having never attempted stand development before, I am ignorant...

Is it possible to develop two seperate, different speed, film stocks at the same time with stand development? In this case it would be Ilford HP5+ and Fomapan 100.

Because 4x5 sheet film comes in boxes of 25 sheets (unless you buy expensive stuff, or buy in bigger quantities) I'm in the position where I have 5 sheets of Fomapan 100 and 1 sheet of HP5+. My Stearman Press developing tank takes four sheets, meaning I'm going to have a couple of individual sheets of each left to develop, so I'm wondering if I could attempt to stand develop them together somehow..?

I've got Ilfotc DD-X and Fomadon R09 developer to hand.

Ta. :)

Thats correct yeah, both would develop to exhaustion so speed becomes irrelevant in development terms.

People have varying views on stand.

For your use case Id simply join boxes together assuming you are buying the same again?

Else id just dev the single sheets in rodinal as its so cheap and you will get better results

Or take the last 2 shots , try stand and see if you like the results!

Thats correct yeah, both would develop to exhaustion so speed becomes irrelevant in development terms.

People have varying views on stand.

For your use case Id simply join boxes together assuming you are buying the same again?

Else id just dev the single sheets in rodinal as its so cheap and you will get better results

Or take the last 2 shots , try stand and see if you like the results!

Thanks.

I do have another box of HP5+, so could just join the boxes there and, while I don't have any more Fomapan 100 after these five sheets, I will probably buy more.

It's more a case of wondering if I can dev them together. I also don't really enjoy the development process, so devving two single sheets (even if it doesn't cost much financially) feels like time I'll never get back. :D

When I use film, I use stand development.

I have developed mixtures of 35mm and 120, FP4 and HP5 at the same time and the results are good enough for my needs. Whether the results would be adequate for someone working with sheet film is not something I can comment on.

The Fomadon R09 is basically a Rodinal clone (?) so should do 1:100 for a hour with just about any conventional B&W negative film irrespective of format. I got out of the habit of doing stand dev. for some reason but remember it used to be quite popular on RFF, some even using a Rodinal / Xtol cocktail obviously with usual RFF overenthusiasm for making simple things complicated :)

If they've both been shot at box speed, the Massive Dev Chart is suggesting 8 mins for the Fomapan and 7 mins for the HP5+ in DDX 1+4, so I'd just go for 7.5 mins instead of stand?

I'm sure you know this, but Diafine is a developer that doesn't care what film (or speed it was shot at) goes in the tank. At 4 mins part A and 4 mins part B it's a lot quicker than stand dev too & will cover any exposure mistakes. Just the wallet hit to consider.

I've been using it quite happily since I bought it back in Jan 2021 for pretty much anything non-T grain. Have had to top it up, but still have liquid in the top up bottles.

If they've both been shot at box speed, the Massive Dev Chart is suggesting 8 mins for the Fomapan and 7 mins for the HP5+ in DDX 1+4, so I'd just go for 7.5 mins instead of stand?

I've not shot the film yet, this is purely theoretical at this stage.

That's a good idea though (although I get 9mins for HP5+ in DD-X 1+4 and 8mins for Fomapan 100).

However, Fomapan 100 pushed a stop to 200asa has a dev time of 9 mins too! The HP5+ will just have to survive a pre-wash and being bathed in green Fomapan goo for a minute!

I might still have a go at stand development yet though.

I'm sure you know this, but Diafine is a developer that doesn't care what film (or speed it was shot at) goes in the tank. At 4 mins part A and 4 mins part B it's a lot quicker than stand dev too & will cover any exposure mistakes. Just the wallet hit to consider.

I've been using it quite happily since I bought it back in Jan 2021 for pretty much anything non-T grain. Have had to top it up, but still have liquid in the top up bottles.

That sounds like a workable solution (pun not intended!). I'd have to buy some though, whereas I have plenty of DD-X and Fomadon R09 to hand. As a proper Yorkshireman, this would cause ructions. :D

Last edited:
I find Foma 100 gives remarkable results in Fomadon R09 or other Rodinal in 1:50 dilution regularly agitated, but subpar results in stand development.

As for HP5+, I really don't think it looks best in Rodinal and vastly prefer it in powder developers such as D76, ID11 and Xtol, all 1+1.

There is no need to prewash Foma. The green stuff is harmless.

Back