Beginner Standard prints confuzzlement

Name
Don
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

I'm sure this is pretty simple, rudimentary stuff, so apologies in advance for the dumbness - Want to print my images 10 x 8 as have some nice frames for these, however my photos are being compromised (in size) to accommodate this standard fit; cutting off the edges :(

Is this a ratio thing, meaning tough titties for me? What should I do?
Cheers

Yes it's tough titties for you. If you took the picture in 2x3 ratio the only way to print without cropping is to use other 2x3 formats. The nearest one to the size you mentioned is 12x8.

The alternative is to accept the frame size, but to print smaller and use a matt - most photos and prints that you buy ready for framing are mounted for a standard size of frame, but printed according to the artist's whim. Variable margins, in other words. All you have to do is decide the most suitable way to arrange the margins. If you want 10x8 frames, you'll have to print smaller. If you want the whole image at around 10x8 size, you need a larger frame.

Could you experiment with the crop yourself, rather than leaving it to the printer (software or lab)? As long as you crop to 5*4 ratio it will print without further cropping in 10*8. I often find there's a crop in there somewhere at 5*4 that's rather good!

Cheers, guys
I may go for the 12x8 option as it doesn't seem to be a vast compromise,,, ChrisR, I'll look at your one too.

May I be ever so excessively contentious? Compromise is the destroyer of artistic standards :(.

I always crop my pictures to the A format (297:210) as that is very close to 3:2 and so only requires a slice off one end. I allow for that when composing.

Is there any camera that is 3x2 ratio as standard able to shoot say 5x4 or 4x3 ratio but show you the composition before taking the shot?

I had this problem a few years ago so opted to sell 9x6 & 12x8 prints so any customers get exactly what they see in the proofs straight out the camera.

Is there any camera that is 3x2 ratio as standard able to shoot say 5x4 or 4x3 ratio but show you the composition before taking the shot?

I had this problem a few years ago so opted to sell 9x6 & 12x8 prints so any customers get exactly what they see in the proofs straight out the camera.
There's no need. You just need to either take the picture with enough room for it to be cropped or make sure your customers have an idea of how it's going to look.

It doesn't make sense to only sell 3x2 prints because of this as you're going to lose sales from some of the other popular sizes like 7x5 for example.

Back