Beginner Star photography

Name
Alistair
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi folks,

I just registered and am glad to be here. I have been doing some photography now for about 9 months however I am trying to find the best way to enhance my photos of the stars.

I understand it may be impossible in the city however i’ll include two photos I took this evening.

Can I ask any experts what they think I could do to make these better?

the DLSR I use is a canon EOS 4000d and the lens is a Samyang 14mm f2.8

Thanks very much :)
BFDDBF12-6218-4-EB0-B9-C3-72-E63802-A194.jpg
CBD8-DCB2-50-D7-408-C-B022-1-F6855-D7706-D.jpg

I wrote a blog post about this on my website (link is in my sig)

Looks to be a lot of light pollution hence the yellow glow. With the quarantine, there aren't many things you can do to fix that!

Hi

thanks for the quick response. I feared light pollution but I was really hoping it was something else! At the very least I know I have the right ideas as far as taking a goes :)

i will check your blog tomorrow. Thanks again very much !

A filter like “Haida clear night” could help counter the light pollution. Even with a lot of light pollution star trail photos can get good results.

Thanks for the reply.
I live in Glasgow and i’m within the red area for light pollution! :(

is there any other type of filter which can be recommended, where able cheaper too but if the one suggested will help i’ll look at it.

thanks again.

http://nicolasalexanderotto.net/haida-clear-night-filter-review/

hi Alistair, I’ve not tried any other Astro filters so can’t compare. I’m using it in the mountains where the issue is glow on the horizon and it helps a bit with that, but by no means a silver bullet. The blog link above includes before and after shots in a city. The key issue will be what sort of lights are creating the pollution where you are, their wavelength then finding a filter that works for that band of light. Good luck.

Not an expert, but I think you get could quite a lot more with post processing - had a play with your JPG file and you should be able to get even more form a raw file

E.g. with some tweaks to white balance, contrast, clarity and exposure using Photoshop:

CBD8-DCB2-50-D7-408-C-B022-1-F6855-D7706-D.jpg

Thanks for the reply.
I live in Glasgow and i’m within the red area for light pollution! :(

is there any other type of filter which can be recommended, where able cheaper too but if the one suggested will help i’ll look at it.

thanks again.
Based on where you live, when the lockdown ends one of the best places you could go to is Portencross. The light pollution is minimal and many a good shot of the milky way can be had with the old pier used as a foreground, but obviously depends on the time of the year.

Back