Star Trail advice please

Name
Rick
Edit My Images
No
hi
can I ask for advice on how to get multiple 30 sec exposure shots. Do I have to press the shutter button myself every 30 secs.

I have a Nikon D3100, wired remote and tripod.

thanks

The easiest way is to get a remote shutter release, set the camera to 30 secs exposure and continuous shooting, then just lock the remote.

Thanks for that, I was going to have a go tonight but as usual its raining.

6132762634_8c0986cec6_z.jpg
[/url] Startrails1 by silure130, on Flickr[/IMG]

Managed this in between the rain. I can see their is room for improvement but I'm going to enjoy it. Notice the UFO in the pic!

Last edited:
for a first attempt thats pretty good, might be worth waiting till later at night or, taking more images into the night, i normally aim for 15-20 seconds as thats the best photo length to card write gap, the other option is to lock the camera in bulb mode on lowest iso and lowest aperture...

there are a few examples on my flickr...

That looks really good - much better than my first attempt last night!

What was the exposure length for that?

That looks really good - much better than my first attempt last night!

What was the exposure length for that?

That will probably be a number of 30 second exposures (about 10 or 15 at a guess) then stacked together with software like http://www.startrails.de/ or similar. When the OP comes online he/she will be able to confirm that or shoot me down in flames. :LOL:

Last edited:
I did wonder if that was a single or multiple exposures...

hi
Big Andy was spot on. I took 20 shots at 30secs and stacked them with Startrails. I'm itching to have another go but the weather is against me.

Some cable releases will allow you to set what your wanting to achieve. I got one from Hong Kong for a very reasonable £8 and i can set it to take x amount of pictures at x exposure time with x time lapse in between.

Back