Star Trails - 1st Attempt

Edit My Images
Yes
19636405459_6c4bf7d91c_z_d.jpg

Only had camera a few months and this was the first time out trying star trails.
The kit I used my Nikon D5300 with 18-55 kit lens and my MeFoto Roadtrip tripod.
Photos where taken over around an hour long period but for some reason only about 35 photos had been taken even know my digital timer had counted around 70. If anyone has an idea why the help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
A good first attempt but I would lose the first few frames out of the stack as there is a star then a gap before the main trail starts.

Yer I noticed that once it was uploaded. Something to look out for next time thanks. Hoping to go again soon, weather and cloud permitting.

As regards the number of shots taken, have you set the camera to RAW + jpg?

You'd then get 2 photos of the same shot.

It's all I can think of.

Or has it been set to 'dark frame' long exposures, where the camera takes a frame of its own internal noise (or something like that) of the same length as the original exposure then subracts it in camera?

It won't be this as there will be big gaps in the star trails due to the time out taking the Noise Reduction frame.

Yer I noticed that once it was uploaded. Something to look out for next time thanks. Hoping to go again soon, weather and cloud permitting.
You don't have to wait for next time just re-do the stack minus the first exposures that are causing the gap. Edit the original post and change the image to the new one.

Good work for your first foray into star trails. I wish mine were as effective. Is the pink band on the lower right hand side flare from a light?

My only criticism would be the foreground could be slightly brighter to show more detail but it may be the fault of my monitor.

Back