Star trails at Mow Cop, Staffordshire

Edit My Images
Yes
My third star trails attempt, after doing a couple in the garden with no decent foreground features, I decided to venture out to the only thing I could think of in the Stoke-on-Trent area. I'm rather happy with the result actually:

20120114_startrails.jpg

The whole time I was living in Stoke I told myself I had to photograph MowCop at night and I never got round to it :(

Very nice, I like this. Good trails and even better foreground interest!

Out of curiosity how long was it from first exposure to last?

Thats a great star trail :clap:
About an hour?

Very nice, I like this. Good trails and even better foreground interest!

Out of curiosity how long was it from first exposure to last?

Thanks both, yes, pretty much exactly an hour. I'd planned to stay for about two hours, but I didn't realise the entrance to the car park got closed at night, so camera and car were quite far apart, and it was absolutely freezing. After about 40 minutes of stargazing with the girlfriend we retreated to the car to warm up and I was getting twitchy about leaving my camera there so went and grabbed it when it had been shooting for an hour.

Fortunately, the trails were longer than expected (because I was pointed at the longer ones), so it didn't turn out too badly.

I was initially a bit gutted to see where Polaris was in relation to the folly, because there was no decent way to get both in shot, but it probably turned out for the best.

I actually really like the fact that the southern arc is creeping in in the bottom right.

would have loved to see trails with this composition, obviously a bigger sky

http://www.flickr.com/photos/davenjulie/6420454521

Maybe I'll go back one day. Not for a while though! That angle would have probably got Polaris in shot! I quite like the head-on shot though, if only for being able to see the trails through the arch.

Thanks all for the comments!

Great trails!

Did you know how they were going to curve? The angle of the comp is a bit marmite but I do like how the trails all appear to converge on the structure.

Back