Starling Murmuration in Rutland

Name
Andy or Dij
Edit My Images
Yes
For those of you that are interested in starling murmurations there is one at Barnsdale Country Club just off the A606 between Oakham and Stamford at the top of Barnsdale Hill in Rutland from between 5.30pm untill 6.30pm....Here is my effort from yesterday evening in very poor light. My first real attempt at capturing one of natures most stunning and epic sights. Mine looks like a dolphin chasing the Loch Ness monster..ha!

Good capture and an amazing sight. I've seen one here in decent light and as you say, they can take all sorts of shapes. It went on for a while into almost darkness ,same with yours hence the noise in yours but unavoidable. Also amazing is that when it's time to roost it's done 'as one'. Which one decides to call it a day ? A decision must be made by one of them.

I've seen photos of this phenomena taken on The Somerset Levels and they are made up of vast numbers of starlings. Another good location is off Clevedon Pier/promenade..near Weston-Super-Mare. I expect there are good locations over on the Fens too.

I spent nice day at Rutland Water (8.00am-7.0ppm last one in the hide)) 2 years ago hoping to catch a photo of the Ospreys but the hide was 250 metres from them across the water..opposite the man-made nest on a pole but they were great to see anyway as they came and went.

It's a lovely county.

Last edited:
Back