Starry Sky over The Giants Causeway

The sky looks quite nice, though it looks a bit soft was it windy so the camera wasn't really that still?

Plamen, I tend to agree. I'm not sure what the issue/cause was, it was the first time using a my 17-40L lens (so still learning the lens), it could be that I didn't focus correctly given it was near pitch black. It was pretty windy (I had taken off the strap to reduce vibration from the wind) so maybe that didn't help either.

That picture has so much potential. Its so worth another visit, please do and please do post it.

I'm down just outside Belfast and usually if there's a chance of the aurora I'm in Ballintoy, only because there's plenty of lights so you can vaguely see where you're going.

Haven't been down to the Causeway in a few years so wouldn't fancy stumbling about there in the dark!

As a beginner,hope it doesn't sound silly but is that just one photo.

Not a silly question at all, yes it's just one. Processed from a RAW file. I selectively brightened, reduced saturation and sharpened different parts of the photo using layers.

Bazza, I'm just outside Belfasht too, in Antrim. I've not done Ballintoy on an Aurora night, but I will do. I want to do the Causeway as it's less busy with Aurora hunters, but yes you do have to be careful and a good torch is a MUST. Tonight would have been a good night for heading up the coast as there's a KP6, only downside is it's very cloudy.

So a revisit was always gonna be on the cards for this location, especially on a night when the Northern Lights were forecast. I shot this on Sunday, then Mother's Day Aurora.

LS256LR.jpg

The second image is a beaut, you've caught the aurora really well and with great foreground interest with the causeway.

If I had taken that I would be over the moon.

I am so glad you did re-visit, and on the right night too. That is simply great.

Well done on the re-visit, a great shot of an iconic place and an iconic event ... can you edit out the hotspots centre foreground (lights?)?

You know I'm actually in Belfast at the moment with the family. I think we have all decided to come back for a longer trip to let us explore some of the surrounds better. My parents actually met in a geology trip to giant's causeway too.

Back