Starry Tree

I think star trails might have worked here too, and I think there is an inbalance here as the tree is dominating the scene, more space between the sky and the tree at the top might have helped here too

I like it jenna, tree is nicely lit and stars are showing very well. What were your settings? Did you use a torch? I imagine you'd have to have a short shutter speed to get the light in but long enough to prevent trails.

I think this is better for not having star trails. Done to death... it's far more skillful, and beautiful to capture the night sky as it is... not with lines running through it... just my opinion.

The tree is over lit for me.... it dominates. Someone else mentioned that too, but I think it's the way it's lit rather than a framing issue. Framing is up to you... and a preference thing... but the fact that it's so brightly lit is something that will make the tree overwhelm the rest of the image for everyone.

You're starting to get trails though.. 30 seconds is too long. Unless you're using a VERY wide lens, I find 20 secs the max before trailing starts to become an issue. Also, your exif says ISO100. Why such a low ISO? Try using higher ISOs to pull out more detail in the sky. You can always lower the flash power to compensate. How dark was it there?

Last edited:
It wasn't that dark actually, I used the ISO of 100 for clarity really, never thought to bump it up! What would you say, 400? 20 seconds? I just didn't want to blow it out.

The lighting I could turn the flash down to 1/2 or 1/4 power?

Thanks for the tips btw!

It all depends on how dark it is. In a truly dark sky site you will probably need 20 secs, wide open or f4 at ISO6400. If there's a moon, things change a little, and such speeds and ISO's will result in over exposure. There's no one size fits all.

As a rough guide...

True dark sky site with no moon - 20 secs, ISO6400 f4, (or any other equivalent EV)

Dark sky site with half moon - 20 secs ISO1600 f5.6 (or any other EV equivalent)

Dark sky site full moon - 20 secs ISO 800 f5.6 (or any EV equivalent).

Add light pollution to the equation and things get more complicated... and trial and error comes into play.

Basically though... with most wide lenses, you have 20 seconds to play with until trailing starts. The longer the lens, the shorter that time gets. With a truly wide lens like a 14mm (or crop equivalent) you may get 30 secs.

New to the forum though I would say the picture is great, yes the tree is illuminated though it does not take over the scene.
Really like it.

Regards.

Keith.

Works well, I like it.

Might have been better without the other trees in the background.

Nice work on the stars :clap: - I feel this image lacks any foreground interest to be honest, it needs something to lead the viewer into the image

Les (y)

Back