Started new job

GfK

Suspended / Banned
Edit My Images
No
Hello.

I started me new job yesterday, working for O2 Customer Services. Training for next 3 weeks and all seems OK thus far, and money isn't *too* bad...

Downside is, I started on the 19th June. Deadline for payroll is 11th of each month, which means I'm not going to get paid until the 26th July - 6 bloody weeks away.

There's £5 in me bank account, car is almost out of diesel and my food stockpile consists of half a loaf of bread and two tins of tuna, plus a few other bits that it isn't really possible to knock together a sensible meal from.

Girlfriend gets paid Friday and hopefully they will have sorted out her tax and refunded last month's over-payment for her being on an emergency tax code but we're gonna be sailing very close to the wind for the next few weeks.

There's no wonder so many people just stay on the dole forever. The transition from dolescrounger to working-class really blows. :(

i know how you feel GFK, i had to do the same, although not the 6 week wait, just 4. Wife gets paid monthly too, it can be a nightmare at times.

Congratulations and good luck with the new job:)

Congrats on the new job GFK. (y)

I know what you mean about sailing close to the wind WRT things like emergency tax and paydates etc....been there loads of times...

When it happens to us...I just grit my teeth, because when it finally does get sorted, we'll be quids in :) I think of things like emergency tax as a way to save and stop me blowing all my money...lol (cos I'm useless otherwise)

Good luck with O2. A couple of weeks of relative hardship, but you'll get back on your feet soon enough! Congrats! (y)

enjoy the new job.

i was an art student a while back, i could knock up 10 recipes with all that food ;)

6 weeks is a long time, but hang in there and, as marcel says, your first paycheque will be all the sweeter for it.

Congrats and Good Luck!

Enjoy the new job m8. Large companies tend to allow a little bit of help in these circumstances. Go to them and tell them that your not gonna get paid for 6 weeks and you need to be able to put fuel etc in the car to get to work and you might find that they will advance you some of your wages. Especially if it guarantees your gonna be in work for them.

Worth a try. Talk to your line manager or HR about it. Whats the worst they can say.

When i changed jobs i went from paid weekly to monthly and my boss let me borrow against my wages when i first started.

Well done GfK ... sounds like you may have landed on your feet ! All the best to you and I hope it works out to be an enjoyable position for you ! :clap:

I am in my third month of unemployment ... not had the nerve to sign on so far and awaiting a couple of responses ... fingers & toes etc., ! :p

As far as the payment scenario goes your HR dept should be sympathetic and give you an advance against the two weeks for June ... they would be being extremely unreasonable if they don't that's for sure ! I know I routinely authorised such payments in my last role ... it is only right ! Good luck m8 ... (y)

Good luck and congrats with the job. Like others have already said, you should be able to get an advance on your wages. I know how it feels though - been there, done that!

well done GFK, nothing like a new start :)

Back