Beginner starter kit for home studio

Having never used a Canon ST-E3-RT before I can't be certain but as far as I understand it it's radio only so it won't be able to trigger the D-lite heads as they're just using inbuilt Skyport receivers.

I'm uncertain why this is an issue though, presumably you're using the Canon trigger with some speedlights? If so, when they fire they'll trigger the optical sensor on the D-lites if you've got them enabled and if you're not using the Canon trigger then just whack the Skyport in.

If you do proceed with the D-lites you may want to hold on for a few weeks, The Flash Centre (UK importer for Elinchrom) and other retailers usually run some discounts while the photography show is on (near the end of March).

Ahh ok, so my speedlights will trigger the heads..I wasnt kidding when I said I have no clue about them :)

Thanks for the tip on holding off :) I'll keep a close eye out for discounts.

Why have you settled on this kit?
I think you've looked at the camera store and picked the item they sell closest to your budget. Am I right?

For my money, as a start: The softboxes will want replacing with something nicer straight away.

Think of the lights as a camera, you want most of your money to go into modifiers (lenses), which will give better control of the light itself (not just the power).

That kit is a mid range body and kit zoom, photographers would always advise to go for a cheaper body and better glass.

I'm not saying 'buy Lencarta' but if you look at their kits, you can swap out the cheaper included softboxes and replace them with the better Profold softboxes, add the grids too.

Alternatively, put together a kit yourself, from multiple suppliers (despite supplier discounts on kits, you could probably still save).

You are right Phil, it was the closest to what I want to spend for now and to get me started. This is why I came on here, for this kind of advice :)

What I want is something entry level so I can learn how to use it, then buy modifiers and other bits as I go and learn to use them as and when I buy extras.

I'm currently using speedlights and small softboxes but they just don't have enough power.

Just a quickie to say that, having recently bought a Bowens Esprit 500 kit for similar (home) use, Phil's advice is very sound. The packaged kits are usually less than optimal when it comes to accessories, modifiers, etc and the softbox that came with mine is certainly a bit naff; if I could turn the clock back I think I'd wait for the sales and make up my own kit from "separates" (although I did get a great deal on mine through eBay, as it was very lightly used).

I spent ages looking at various ways of triggering the flash heads, and actually wasted a tidy sum before realising that I could do the job via a bounced Speedlite on-camera. This works for the kind of photography I'm interested in (https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/watch-photography.579775/) but the moral of the story, I think, is "keep it simple".

Just a quickie to say that, having recently bought a Bowens Esprit 500 kit for similar (home) use, Phil's advice is very sound. The packaged kits are usually less than optimal when it comes to accessories, modifiers, etc and the softbox that came with mine is certainly a bit naff; if I could turn the clock back I think I'd wait for the sales and make up my own kit from "separates" (although I did get a great deal on mine through eBay, as it was very lightly used).

What was wrong with the softbox that came with the Bowens? Unless it's a pretty old kit with a redwing softbox the ones Bowens bundles are largely as good as anything you'll buy from another brand.

What was wrong with the softbox that came with the Bowens? Unless it's a pretty old kit with a redwing softbox the ones Bowens bundles are largely as good as anything you'll buy from another brand.

Only that it's a real bugger to put together, and the strain on the rods is a little excessive. In terms of light output/usability once assembled it's fine. The other thing to bear in mind with these kits is that they almost certainly need adding to after purchase; for example, I needed another umbrella (which then required a second reflector) and could just as easily buy a second softbox.

Only that it's a real bugger to put together, and the strain on the rods is a little excessive. In terms of light output/usability once assembled it's fine. The other thing to bear in mind with these kits is that they almost certainly need adding to after purchase; for example, I needed another umbrella (which then required a second reflector) and could just as easily buy a second softbox.

That's normal with the rods (it's actually worse with new kit), the only way you're getting around that is by buying an easy up design instead (which in fairness despite the lack of different configurations is the way I think most beginners should go).

I'm not disagreeing about adding to the kit, if you use it even moderately it won't provide all the tools you need but it's meant to be a foundation to build on and say what you will about Bowens in general but the pieces they include in their kit are all pretty solid compared to some other companies (decent stands, good 2 in 1 umbrella, well made softbox etc). Although I do wish they'd dump the brolly mount on the reflector.

Speaking of Elinchrom and kits though I don't know anyone who likes the Elinchrom Portalite softboxes, maybe they make sense with the Ranger/Quadra packs as they're as light and small as a softbox can be but it doesn't make much sense that they include 2 66cm ones in the D-lite kits.

So do you think I am better off starting with the brolly version of the kit and then buy better softboxes as and when.

I know I could get it all as singles and get better quality bits, but thats more expensive on the get go...I just want something to get me started and that I can expand on. The stands I will most likely end up changing for better ones, same as the softboxes rectangle ones and octaboxes etc) then I can buy reflectors, brollys, honeycombs etc etc at a later date.

Does anybody have any experience with the RX4 heads? are they overkill for home use..am I better off going with the 200w versions?

I'd probably start with 200w heads for home use, and I'd go for a decent sized easy up softbox with a deep lip and a grid. add a shoot through umbrella, a silver reflective umbrella and a 5 in 1 reflector.

Chuck £100 at some honeycomb grids and a snoot and you've got enough toys to create all kinds of wizardry.

If you're in no hurry, go along to the Photography Show, you'll see loads of different gear, get a chance to ask some questions and make an informed buying choice (probably with a show discount too).

If I were buying the Elinchrom kit new I'd get the umbrella version and buy my own softboxes, I quite like Elinchrom Rotalux softboxes despite them being fragile but I'm not a fan of their Portalites. You don't need to buy Elinchrom but I'd recommend you stick to one brand of softbox (Bessel, Lencarta etc are all good choices).

As Phil says the D-lite 2s are probably better for your needs as there are advantages to having a lower power head, the stands you get with the kit are actually good though, I don't think you can buy anything better for under £40 at least.

<snip>

I'm currently using speedlights and small softboxes but they just don't have enough power.

What exactly are you using? Guns, softboxes/modifiers, distance, aperture and ISO? Need to be clear on that before deciding on the power you want.

Get a copy of Digital SLR Photography magazine, the March edition that should still be on sale. There's a review of seven kits that are right up your street, including the Elinchrom D-Lites 2 and 4, and Lencarta Smartflash-2.

Hi Richard, to be honest..I have some money burning holes and want some home lighting for portraits...thats as far as its got haha! i dont know what I want..I just want something to get me going.

I have just downloaded the march edition of DSP...that helped a lot, I have just emailed the guys at Lencarta for a kit but changing the softboxes to 100x100 ones, an octabox, reflectors and grids, plus a few more bits..even at the web pricing its still in budget :)

Hi Richard, to be honest..I have some money burning holes and want some home lighting for portraits...thats as far as its got haha! i dont know what I want..I just want something to get me going.

I have just downloaded the march edition of DSP...that helped a lot, I have just emailed the guys at Lencarta for a kit but changing the softboxes to 100x100 ones, an octabox, reflectors and grids, plus a few more bits..even at the web pricing its still in budget :)

Cool (y)

The reason I ask about power is your comment about speedlights not having enough poke. A higher end speedlight will put out close to 100Ws equiv, and that's usually enough for home portraits and couples with the light at 4-5ft or so. You need a bit more for groups, though 200-ish Ws is usually enough and most times you'll be no higher than quarter power. It's always nice to have more power, but the downside is you can't turn them down low enough if you want to work at f/2.8 for shallow depth-of-field. There are two ways of managing that: either buy bigger lights and be prepared to fit an ND filter now and then, or get something less powerful and bump the ISO up a stop or two when necessary. The latter course is both cheaper and easier with the good performance of today's cameras at higher ISO.

Don't buy tons of stuff and use it all at once. As a newcomer, you'll just get in a mess with conflicting shadows and not know how to fix it. Start with just one light, and a reflector board. The main/key light always does the lion's share of the work, even if you've got a dozen heads to hand. Less is more. Add extra lights one at a time as necessary. Each light should have a particular purpose - key, hair, background etc.

Speedlights play well with studio strobes in situations that play to their many strengths (small size, no power leads, zoom head, easy to gel and flag) especially if you can keep them turned down to quarter power or less, ie very often. Easiest way is to sync them up with basic optical slaves, though if you have Canon guns you'll need these Sonia ones, dead cheap http://www.colinsfoto.com/Sonia_Optical_flash_slave/cat43951_47721.aspx I use them on cheap Konig stands - a tenner on Amazon.

Also see this similar thread https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/first-studio-lights.579389/

Rather than the large square softbox, the rectangular one is more versatile (according to a recent post by Garry).
Are they the Profold boxes (worth paying the extra for ease of assembly).

See this recent thread regarding a medium softbox.

Rather than the large square softbox, the rectangular one is more versatile (according to a recent post by Garry).
Are they the Profold boxes (worth paying the extra for ease of assembly).

See this recent thread regarding a medium softbox.
Yes, I strongly believe that the 70 x 100 is the best possible choice for most situations. In a perfect world, with unlimited space, height and budget, I would have all shapes and sizes - hang on a min, I do :)

I ordered the smartflash 2 set with 70-100 softboxes in the end..getting delivered this afternoon :) cant wait to try them out.

all unboxed and tested..got to say I am very impressed with the quality of the kit. I did look at some elinchrom RX ones and the quality was just poor in comparison to these...and these are cheaper!!! madness!

I had so much delivered today, the smart flash 2 set with 100x70 profold soft boxes, two gold brollies and reflectors, 40cm beauty dish, lastolite tri grip, lastolite grey and black pop up HUGE background and a lastolite 60cm ezybox hotshoe with a 2 meter extending pole...Now I need to get to using it all haha!

all unboxed and tested..got to say I am very impressed with the quality of the kit. I did look at some elinchrom RX ones and the quality was just poor in comparison to these...and these are cheaper!!! madness!

I had so much delivered today, the smart flash 2 set with 100x70 profold soft boxes, two gold brollies and reflectors, 40cm beauty dish, lastolite tri grip, lastolite grey and black pop up HUGE background and a lastolite 60cm ezybox hotshoe with a 2 meter extending pole...Now I need to get to using it all haha!
Yes, it's underpriced. We sell it at exactly the same price as the original SmartFlash, which had a much more basic spec and which didn't have remote control either - glad you like it.

When I get to grips with the second hand interfit ex150 kit, I'm upgrading to the smart flash 2. Was about to buy the twin softbox kit and saw the interfit for £130 so thought I'll try these out and if I can use them, I'll be getting the lencarta and selling on the interfit. I hear nothing but good stuff about lencarta. Very jealous of u :)

When I get to grips with the second hand interfit ex150 kit, I'm upgrading to the smart flash 2. Was about to buy the twin softbox kit and saw the interfit for £130 so thought I'll try these out and if I can use them, I'll be getting the lencarta and selling on the interfit. I hear nothing but good stuff about lencarta. Very jealous of u :)
If there's nothing wrong with your current kit, just use it to build from. There's no reason to change brand 'just because Lencarta are good'.

That's when I work out how to get it to flash without using my pop up!

D

Do you not have any wireless triggers?
Yes, I do now - that's another thread! They wouldn't work so had to use the pop up. Eventually found the screw on the receiver and discovered the battery was dead. Stupid beginner mistake but... I had asked others outside TP why it wouldn't work and it was only by posting here that we narrowed it down to a battery issue! Thumbs up for TP :)

Back