10 ways with a medium (ish) softbox

Think that is the best lighting video I have seen. Got anymore?
He runs courses on CreativeLive, and possibly other places too.

Have you seen the videos @Garry Edwards posts on the Lencarta site. There's a certain similarity of teaching style.

Well, if his approach is similar to my own then there's a reason for that:)
A very good video, with some very useful approaches explained.
The limitation of videos is that they tend to be fast-moving, with no real time/opportunity to explain the reasoning behind the decisions - for example, nowhere does he explain that the light position is dependent on camera height, and nowhere does he explain why he has metered to the light instead of to the camera, where this has happened.
In my own videos, I tend to post the video 'as is' and then give a much more comprehensive written explanation.

Am I being over protective of my kit or is it ok to use the lens attached to the body on a tripod as an arm rest as you're standing up talking?

Am I being over protective of my kit or is it ok to use the lens attached to the body on a tripod as an arm rest as you're standing up talking?
My guess is that he's more 'resting' than 'leaning'.

I like that you called it a meduim(ish) softbox.
Most would probably consider that "large," but it really isn't. He was still using it very close, or doing something to make it even larger.

I like that you called it a meduim(ish) softbox.
Most would probably consider that "large," but it really isn't. He was still using it very close, or doing something to make it even larger.
He called it a medium (which it is - to him), for most of 'us' it's a large, which is where my (ish) came from.

I'd say it's medium...I have a 60x90 softbox and a 60x60. One is small, one is medium!!!

Meant to do a silhouette ages ago and forgot about it. Might give it a go when it's quite bed down with the day job!!

He called it a medium (which it is - to him), for most of 'us' it's a large, which is where my (ish) came from.
It's all perception, but Chimera, who produced the first fabric softboxes, described 3' x 4' as medium, so that has kind of stuck in the pro world.

As a noob. It amazes me how he seemed to use a different model just by changing the light source.

A very useful tutorial. I much prefer it when people actually show you what they're talking about as well rather than just discuss it. It adds a bit more realism and understanding in my opinion. Bookmarked for future reference. Cheers Phil!

inspired by this video I had a go
My first attempt at three point lighting

View attachment 28626

Nikon sb700 with 22cm Lastolite McNally Exybox as key
Foam bounce board for fill
Nikon sb700 with Rogue Flashbender grid for hair light
Yongnuo triggers
Nikon 7000 with Nikon 85 f1.8D

Please critique or I won't get any better

Actually, that technique is short lighting - lighting only that part of the subject that is least visible to the lens, leaving the broad (larger) part in shadow.

If I was to be critical, I would say that there's too much fill on the broad side, although that is just a matter of personal preference.
And the key light could have done with being further back
And it was just a bit too high,

Thanks guys. I was frightened of moving it back further as it is a small soft box and I thought it would go too harsh . I have some others where there is less fill that I will put up. Thanks for the tip re the nose shadow and it being too high.

Mike when we say further back we do not mean further away but closer to the background

Mike
Just reading this myself and was thinking did you mean further around and more towards side lighting (not that far) as to cast the shadow more accross the cheek ? May I just add that it was good of you to explain why doing the tips Garry had quoted would make a differance.

Gaz

Just reading this myself and was thinking did you mean further around and more towards side lighting (not that far) as to cast the shadow more accross the cheek ? May I just add that it was good of you to explain why doing the tips Garry had quoted would make a differance.

Gaz

Yes that was what I meant. If you think of the client being in the middle of a clock face and the camera at 6 O'Cock from them then the light needs to slide from the current 8 or 9 to 9 or 10 O'Clock position

Mike

Last edited:
Thanks for posting the video, I really enjoyed that with plenty of food for thought.

Back