Beginner Starting a YouTube channel - What camera?

Name
Alex
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All,

I'm looking for some advice on starting my own YouTube channel and what camera to use for filming.
I'm a petrolhead and have been for many years, but my current career has absolutely nothing to do with cars and you know what they say, find a job in something you love doing and it won't feel like you're working at all. Well in order to one day achieve this I'm going to start with a YouTube channel and see where things go from there.

My budget isn't large as I'm also upgrading my PC at the same time in order to edit and create the videos.

I'm looking for the below:

Camera - circa £500.
- Currently looking at the Canon G7X Mark II.
Memory Cards
Mic
Tripod
Camera Rail/Slider
Gimbal

My other half has a Sony DSLR so I'll be taking photos with that. This camera is purely for video.

Any recommendations for the above would be appreciated. I'm looking for the best "bang for buck" so to speak and will look to source things second hand as well to keep costs down.

If anyone has a similar YouTube channel I would love to chat.

Thanks,

OT

For my channel I bought a Logitech C920 Videocam to record videos.

For Video Capture and Screen Recorder Software I use the free Debut Video Capture Software from NCH Software:

https://www.nchsoftware.com/capture/index.html

I also use FreeCorder to record audio which I bought years ago from Applian (no longer available) but you can also record audio with Openshot.

To edit the video I use Openshot which is really easy to use:

https://www.openshot.org.

Once you have started your channel it's really important to use tags which are meaningful.

There are also plenty of How-To videos on YouTube.

My total spend so far has been less then £100.00 since I already have a tripod etc.

Hope this helps you.

Last edited:
Are you after a vlogging type of camera, a video camera or a mixture of the two. I only ask, because a flippy out screen is good for vlogging, whereas a tilt or tilt front facing screen aren't so good. The tilt front facing screen is blocked out by the mic if it's attached to the hot shoe.

I will be starting a YouTube channel soon, at the moment I am just practising, I did try 4k on my D500 but the mic which was away from the camera body still picked up clicks and noise from focus so I have bought a dedicated camera, Sony NXCAM-HXR5 which eliminates any sound interference, if you can have a look at the dedicated video cams as they do produce better video than a DSLR can imo

Last edited:
Probably the Hero7 would be as good as anything, an annoyance is that good audio is important and several useful cameras including the G7 don't have mic input.
GoPro have really cracked the digital stabilisation (finally)

I looked at the ones I follow on youtube some seem to like the Canon EOS M50

Audio is extremely important in you tube.
I would suggest to use a lavalier mic, the ones you attach to the neck of your shirts. You find good ones for 30-40$ and the sound quality is hugely better than the mick in any camera. As a preamp you can use a smartphone

G7X's are decent cameras for vlogging, most 'popular' vloggers use them due to the flip up screen and they actually take really great images too!

I would definitely suggest investing in some 'micromuff' for the top mic bit, works wonders getting rid of wind noise from most situations!

Hi all,

Thanks for all the replies! I've replied below to some of your questions!

Given me a lot to think about especially the mic for a good quality sound set up, which I think is extremely important when half the joy of cars is the sound they make!

For my channel I bought a Logitech C920 Videocam to record videos.

For Video Capture and Screen Recorder Software I use the free Debut Video Capture Software from NCH Software:

https://www.nchsoftware.com/capture/index.html

I also use FreeCorder to record audio which I bought years ago from Applian (no longer available) but you can also record audio with Openshot.

To edit the video I use Openshot which is really easy to use:

https://www.openshot.org.

Once you have started your channel it's really important to use tags which are meaningful.

There are also plenty of How-To videos on YouTube.

My total spend so far has been less then £100.00 since I already have a tripod etc.

Hope this helps you.

Thanks for the links. I'll take a look at your suggestions. I guess the tags work similiar to hashtags on Instagram so will definitely be looking to utilise them!

Are you after a vlogging type of camera, a video camera or a mixture of the two. I only ask, because a flippy out screen is good for vlogging, whereas a tilt or tilt front facing screen aren't so good. The tilt front facing screen is blocked out by the mic if it's attached to the hot shoe.

Well the main aspect of the channel will be an interview style but will be including some cinematice shots like drive by's, close ups, rolling shots etc.

I will be starting a YouTube channel soon, at the moment I am just practising, I did try 4k on my D500 but the mic which was away from the camera body still picked up clicks and noise from focus so I have bought a dedicated camera, Sony NXCAM-HXR5 which eliminates any sound interference, if you can have a look at the dedicated video cams as they do produce better video than a DSLR can imo

I will definitely take a look at teh dedicated video cams but judging from yours they are way out of price range! Do you have reccomendation for one around the £500 price point?

Probably the Hero7 would be as good as anything, an annoyance is that good audio is important and several useful cameras including the G7 don't have mic input.
GoPro have really cracked the digital stabilisation (finally)

I was considering the GoPro Hero 7 after watching their stabilisation video on the roller coast and mountain bike. Looks very smooth! Just having a Google suggests that the mic adapter is £50 and a RODE mic is £50 so for £100 if the sound quality is good I'd be happy! Never used a Go Pro before so could be an option! If not now I'll be looking to get one later down the line to explore driving shots on the car.

I looked at the ones I follow on youtube some seem to like the Canon EOS M50

The Canon does look good, I'll add it to the list and read up on reviews about it! Thanks.

Audio is extremely important in you tube.
I would suggest to use a lavalier mic, the ones you attach to the neck of your shirts. You find good ones for 30-40$ and the sound quality is hugely better than the mick in any camera. As a preamp you can use a smartphone

I definitely need a top quality mic as one of the first cars I plan to shoot is a Mazda RX7 with a LS2 V8 engine. That thing sounds amazing! I'll look in to lavalier mics!

G7X's are decent cameras for vlogging, most 'popular' vloggers use them due to the flip up screen and they actually take really great images too!

I would definitely suggest investing in some 'micromuff' for the top mic bit, works wonders getting rid of wind noise from most situations!

Great suggestions, thanks! (Interesting name! Lol). The less interference and more true engine and exhaust note the better.

I wouldn’t spend a fortune as the returns are poor unless you make it big.
It’s better to have quality content and good rapport with your audience than all the latest and greatest expensive gear.

I started out with an ancient canon camcorder. My rapport was poor and my content not all that good. I worked hard at it and got better, but ultimately my personality just isn’t all that cut out for what people want to see. They like larger than life, happy and loud people. I’m not that.
Ive got 35k subs currently but haven’t uploaded in almost 2 years mainly due to moving house with crap internet, but also due to lack of enthusiasm for it. It’s a hell of alot of work to keep it going and YouTube seem hellbent on destroying itself bit by bit.

Sorry, off topic but how do you get the insta/Flickr links in sig ?

Back