Starting out with 10-Stop ND filters

Edit My Images
No
How does one go about starting out with 10-Stop ND Filters?

buy one :D
I downloaded an app which converts shutter time to maintain same exposure, basically expose the shot without filter, use app to convert time and fit filter, you will need a tripod and remote shutter release if shutter time is beyond 30 secs use bulb mode upto 30secs you can use camera in built settings.
Some filters will produce a magenta colour cast like my SRB one others might not.

If you search forums you will find a great deal of usefull information which is how I started on it (y)

Thanks RKC. Happy to buy one but again which brand? Cokin, Lee etc. it's as confusing as starting with lights.

Which brand do you use? What's best source to buy them from?

I'm very pleased with my XCSource 77mm round threaded 10 stop filter, negligible colour cast, excellent price for very good quality -- if you don't mind having to adapt the thread and screw it on.

Thanks RKC. Happy to buy one but again which brand? Cokin, Lee etc. it's as confusing as starting with lights.

Which brand do you use? What's best source to buy them from?

depends on budget really, for me starting out i was after a Camidox there is a large thread about it but SRB no longer do them so bought one of their own http://srb-photographic.co.uk/67mm-nd1000-filter-6570-p.asp it does produce a magenta cast unlike the Camidox apparently but I have found it quite easy to remove in Lightroom, for the money I have no complaints.

Then there is the square systems Lee, Cokin etc bit more expensive but arguably a better system which is something I might well invest in later, one problem with screw in like i have is you could alter the lens when attaching, square system you can stack filters.

Back