Stay with Adobe or switch maybe Aperture

Name
Allan
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi

Dilemma is I run LR4 I have just bought a Sony A77 mk2 and I am trying to decide if I should switch from Adobe due to the CC2014 issue.

I know LR 5 at cr version 8.5 can decode and convert into DNG but have many doubts if Adobe will bring out stand alone LR6

Anyone know who may run a raw converter for said sony please and maybe if I could switch a catalog of 10k images over with any type of ease

I am running iMac mavericks for processing

Thanks

Allan

I went from Aperture to LR about 6 months ago, and now that I've got used to LR and learnt how to use it I wouldn't go back to Aperture. I did like the cataloguing system on Aperture, and the integration of the library into the Mac OS can be useful at times, but as far as the actual editing of images goes LR is much more sophisticated piece of software. The £8 per month I pay for LR and PS is money well spent in my eyes.
On a side note how are you finding the new A77??

Hi thanks I do like LR and agree its a great program just not fond of signing up for cc2014 I have photo matrix auto pano and topaz plugins what I read says each time 2014 updates all the plug ins stop working.

The Mk2 was dispatched today I have my tracking numbers but I think it will probably be early next week for its arrival this is what is making me search lol

Thanks for info

Allan

Hi

You don't have to sign up for cc for LR. You can download it directly from adobe or buy a cd from Amazon.

From what I've heard they've had issues with some of the smaller plugin developers not updating their software in time for the new release of PS CC, so the previous version is still available to run alongside 2014 for those that have issues.

From what I've heard they've had issues with some of the smaller plugin developers not updating their software in time for the new release of PS CC, so the previous version is still available to run alongside 2014 for those that have issues.
Cheers would that not mean having lots of different versions and if so how on earth would you keep the folders images synced?

I think I read somewhere that adobe have said that LR will be available as a standalone product for sometime going forward.

I went from Aperture to LR about 6 months ago, and now that I've got used to LR and learnt how to use it I wouldn't go back to Aperture. I did like the cataloguing system on Aperture, and the integration of the library into the Mac OS can be useful at times, but as far as the actual editing of images goes LR is much more sophisticated piece of software. The £8 per month I pay for LR and PS is money well spent in my eyes.
On a side note how are you finding the new A77??
I also went from Aperture to lightroom 6 months ago when I signed up for creative cloud and I have to say that is the only reason I use lightroom. If there was an option of PS only on creative cloud then I would drop lightroom immediately. Yeah it does have a wider, not necessarily better, editing tools and I do like the lens correction option but the cataloging is poor compared to Aperture. Despite paying for it, I consider £8 for PS a bargain, I am still considering removing it from my mac and sticking with Aperture.

Thanks guys I think it looks as if I stick with lightroom the raw convertor on LR5 does not seem to allow raw dng converter 8.5 and I would have to go for CC

I do know that I can do virtually all I need in LR and PS is really way over my need and skill.

I have not yet been able to locate a raw converter in one of the opposition I am not a fan of subscription I prefer buying out right but that's no use now

Seems like the aperture library must be really good though.

Ok Update i have downloaded a trial of LR from the CC app took 2 goes for it to load on my Mac but hey ho can't see much difference from LR4 but it has a mask now rest looks about the same.

Going to try the raw files from the new camera next week see how i like it and decide go stand alone or rent CC

Must admit by the time i got it loaded i was ready to give up on CC app

Cheers

Looks like you may not have an option in future. Just read this article that indicates that Apple are dropping any further development of Aperture, in favour of the new Photos app.

Reading another article here it looks like they are working on a migration path to Lightroom - that indicates to me that the replacement Photos app isn't going to going to be as featured as Aperture is now.

Quite a disappointment for me - always liked Aperture and never really got on with LR. I will just keep on using Aperture as long as possible I guess.

Not mad keen on that i only recently bought iPhoto not fond but been slowly getting used to it mainly for apple TV they leave noting alone Grr

Sure looks as if Adobe will rule the roost makes me think even more that LR5 may be the last stand alone hope i am wrong

Not mad keen on that i only recently bought iPhoto not fond but been slowly getting used to it mainly for apple TV they leave noting alone Grr

Sure looks as if Adobe will rule the roost makes me think even more that LR5 may be the last stand alone hope i am wrong

Perhaps stop thinking so much... I doubt adobe are that naive and to be honest £10/month is not much different to buying a new version every year as it comes out, but with PS thrown in.

I have downloaded PS CS6 trial takes ages adobe must need bigger servers lol

As a not knowledgable PS user main things are lens correction, crop and sharpening.

At first it seemed to slow my mac down but it's about 36 hours now and it seems to launch better.

I assume Bridge still does not use the library of LR ? Not downloaded that yet think its in the monthly deal though

Back