Steall Gorge, Glen Nevis.

Name
Scott
Edit My Images
No
It's been a fairly lean period for me lately with not much in the way of true winter conditions and not much time to get out either.
Out of a couple of hundred shots over the last few months this is by far my favourite from a couple of days ago.
Rather miserable and bleak which suits my mood at the moment.

Steall Gorge, Glen Nevis by Scott Robertson, on Flickr

Thanks for looking.

Scott, I've had a look at your Flickr pages and there are some stunning images on there. But this one leaves me quite cold. In fact I actively dislike it! It's something to do with colour balance or the processing, or something like that. There seems to be a bit of a trend towards a kind of bronze-y "look" which I don't get at all.

Please disregard my comments completely if you wish.....

"Excellent" shot, nothing more to be said.(y)

George.

I find it a superb image, full of atmosphere and most effectively composed. The back-lit subtlety of the fore-ground colours is the icing on the cake for me.

Thank you very much guys, appreciated.

Scott, I've had a look at your Flickr pages and there are some stunning images on there. But this one leaves me quite cold. In fact I actively dislike it! It's something to do with colour balance or the processing, or something like that. There seems to be a bit of a trend towards a kind of bronze-y "look" which I don't get at all.

Please disregard my comments completely if you wish.....
No worries Jerry, you can never please everyone. What is important is I like it, and I really do. So much so I'll print proof it and get it away to the printers for a gander on paper.
Not sure what 'bronze-y look' means to be honest. Been processing like this for years not really following trends preferring to do what pleases or suits my current mood or taste.

Last edited:
I like this very much too, strong moodiness & composition. I agree with Jerry that it's clearly processed, but for me it's sympathetic and fits the feeling well.

I love this Scott, very moody and atmospheric. A lot of depth too imo. The rocks, trees, fields, mountains, tributaries, clouds. Even a subtle curved leading line on the field after the trees leading towards the mountains.

Scott,
You have some sublime shots on flickr. They would enhance many a wall.
I think that the pic you have posted has good atmosphere, especially in the area where the hilltops merge with swirling mist. However, I feel that the silver birches consume too much of the shot and have become dominant.

As you say it looks rather miserable out there. The composition works. The traces of colour not so much personally. I'd go BW when it looks like that. Sky is far too black (yes, black) for this misery. It was probably nearly flat mid grey - the sort I dislike shooting the most.

Scott,
You have some sublime shots on flickr. They would enhance many a wall.
I think that the pic you have posted has good atmosphere, especially in the area where the hilltops merge with swirling mist. However, I feel that the silver birches consume too much of the shot and have become dominant.
Thanks, trees look about right to me.
As you say it looks rather miserable out there. The composition works. The traces of colour not so much personally. I'd go BW when it looks like that. Sky is far too black (yes, black) for this misery. It was probably nearly flat mid grey - the sort I dislike shooting the most.
Thanks.
The black and white does look a bit tasty but was saving that for another day. It's even darker, you'll hate it. :D
You're also right about the sky being dull flat grey, it nearly always is up here, especially weekends. But no part of it is black by any stretch.
There's a gratifying satisfaction shooting in flat challenging conditions applying experience, local knowledge, vision and a little Lightroom to create an image that pleases, if others like it then it's a bonus. What's the alternative, sit at home because conditions don't suit, are a struggle, far from optimum, or pap out an insipid accurate record of reality with no individuality or artistic licence which neither interests, excites or pleases me?
Reality, unless under exceptional circumstances, rarely provides the conditions required to provoke an emotional response but this does for me but appreciate your opinion. :)
Very nice zig-zaggyness and atmosphere Scott. Lovely.
Cheers Tobers

There's a gratifying satisfaction shooting in flat challenging conditions applying experience, local knowledge, vision and a little Lightroom to create an image that pleases, if others like it then it's a bonus. What's the alternative, sit at home because conditions don't suit, are a struggle, far from optimum, or pap out an insipid accurate record of reality with no individuality or artistic licence which neither interests, excites or pleases me?

Maybe you are right. I barely got out for personal projects in the last few months apart from a week in Tenerife (which was awesome, and great escape from the grey and the cold). I even had a terrible thought yesterday about buying aquarelle kit and playing with that when I'm bored and its awful outside. Maybe I'll find the middle ground with some macros or fine art portrait project for such days,

Maybe you are right. I barely got out for personal projects in the last few months apart from a week in Tenerife (which was awesome, and great escape from the grey and the cold). I even had a terrible thought yesterday about buying aquarelle kit and playing with that when I'm bored and its awful outside. Maybe I'll find the middle ground with some macros or fine art portrait project for such days,

I haven't taken a picture for me since October. I don't mind. Summer is just around the corner and with each and every year I've come to hate winter more and more to the point I actively hate it. I myself would rather wait for the conditions that please me rather than head out just to head out. Tenerife sounds a great idea for the winter, but alas I do not fly. I am eagerly awaiting the still summer sunny mornings and balmy summer evenings - these are the times that make me glad to be alive and these are the times I wish to shoot :D

Winter is good for processing IMHO - that's how I am using time I would spend out shooting.

As for the picture - the OP will be able to second guess my thoughts - the composition is perfect IMHO as pretty much always - but the conditions. Well. Everyone knows my thoughts.

Last edited:
Polar opposite here Steve. Summer is my downtime for reasons you know, midgey infestation, tourists, golden hour times, colour of the land. It's a time I enjoy doing other things beside taking pictures but do need a shutter fix now and then so tend to concentrate on small little pictures of the overgrown undergrowth that are mostly kept to myself.

Thanks for making comment.

Thanks Chris
I like it, its very Scott Robertson
Aye, miserable and grumpy. ;)
Hopefully winter will be back soon.
I've an uneasy feeling this winter is over Chris. Was out today, flies fleeing around, caterpillars on the ground, almost summer like heat up here at the moment.

I've an uneasy feeling this winter is over Chris. Was out today, flies fleeing around, caterpillars on the ground, almost summer like heat up here at the moment.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/weat...et-office-long-range-weather-forecast-uk-snow

You might get lucky. When I read the news and saw this I thought of you :)

February often does this - nice warm spell then it reverts back to type early March. It lulls me into a false sense of security nearly every time.

Well that's good news. For some. ;)
To be fair, The Beast from the East was at the end of January in to March so there is still time.
For nearly 40 years winters have had some sort of significance be it skiing when a nipper in to my late teens, then a short foray in to climbing and now photography. Occasionally a winter would come along with no snow and mild wet conditions. This year has that feel about it.
I do know one thing, that old fish wives tale about the amount of rowan tree berries dictates what sort of winter we're in for is a load of old pish. The trees were dripping with berries this year.
Watch, we'll get three feet of the stuff next week. :D

Well that's good news. For some. ;)
To be fair, The Beast from the East was at the end of January in to March so there is still time.
For nearly 40 years winters have had some sort of significance be it skiing when a nipper in to my late teens, then a short foray in to climbing and now photography. Occasionally a winter would come along with no snow and mild wet conditions. This year has that feel about it.
I do know one thing, that old fish wives tale about the amount of rowan tree berries dictates what sort of winter we're in for is a load of old pish. The trees were dripping with berries this year.
Watch, we'll get three feet of the stuff next week. :D

Bad winters can bring great summers. Last summer was amazing for me and I fear with this very clement (and pleasant winter so far) that summer this year won't compare to the legendary one last year.

Time will tell I guess but I think you'll get one more snowy spell before spring really comes along. On the topic of your picture - I reckon that would look spendid in August or October. With the purple hill side heather, nice leafy trees, or a fest of Autumn colour and red moorland.

Last edited:
Maybe good exceptional summers like last year are indicators of a coming mild wet winter.
Yes, that shot would be better with some autumn colour just as the trees turn. I see lots of potential autumn shots but always forget come the time, should start writing them down as a reminder.

I take a photo on my phone and save them into a seperate folder called 'potential' every now and again I'll flick through the folder for some inspiration.

Back