Steam punk weekend Aberystwyth

If I wasn't so far away would definitely visit this, looks great fun and very different
Must get to a Steampunk event one day, read the other day there is also Dieselpunk now too

So, men and women creating a fantasy caricature of a mythical past, dressing like extras from a sci-fi B feature and racing mechanical teapots....

But I'm the kid?

:D

They have a Steam Punk event in Crewe over the late May bank holiday, Suz. I went along on the Saturday morning this year (as it clashed with our Smallwood Steam Rally trip) but they were only just setting up and there were only a few people in costume there. Managed to get half a dozen photos and the people seemed very friendly and amenable to posing for photos and do make quite interesting subjects; mind you, I was using a 1950s designed Yashica TLR so I kind of looked the part!

Here's one I took, using a wide aperture to get swirly bokeh to give a sort of time-tunnel type effect - it also helped to reduce the distracting background clutter you so often get in town-centre type settings:

Last edited:
Did anyone go? Any pictures to show? Would loved to of gone and was in the area on the Friday but had to get back to Cornwall.

Did anyone go? Any pictures to show? Would loved to of gone and was in the area on the Friday but had to get back to Cornwall.

I’d be surprised if it went ahead. We had a heck of a storm here with much of the surrounding areas heavily flooded with rivers rising to their highest ever.
Travelling in the area was impossible as so many roads and bridges were under water.

Last edited:
I’d be surprised if it went ahead. We had a heck of a storm here with much of the surrounding areas heavily flooded with rivers rising to their highest ever.
Travelling in the area was impossible as so many roads and bridges were under water.
I came back on the A5 I had planned to drive slowly down through Wales but the weather reports put me off.

Back