Steam train advance information

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
Yes
What are people using to find advance information about when the various steam-hauled specials are around? I've been using uksteam.info for several years, but the site is showing a last update of March, so it seems that the person looking after it has stopped for whatever reason, hopefully they're OK but I'm struggling to know what is about.

While seeing Tornado a short while ago a couple of other photographers on the canal-side told me of another train times site, but while that was very comprehensive it was more of a "live times" site, and relied on you knowing the train code to find anything. uksteam was great for that, as it only listed steam stuff and made everything pretty easy to find.

I still use uksteam.info. It's up-to-date for me.

PS disregard the "last updated" notice at the top. I think that just refers to the web site layout.

Last edited:
Agree with Stephen L, uksteam.info
This site gives all sorts of info including live view of were trains are once they are running.

I do usually use uk steam, but there are no updates on any of the latest tours, no links to times like there usually is.

Yes, that's been my problem for quite a few of the local trains this year, no updates for times. I seem to recall earlier on in the year, the times did appear, but not until a couple of days after the train had run, and they weren't Scotsman-hauled so none of the embargo-related stuff.

Rumor has it that the chap who owns uksteam.info is either in hospital or a family member is so I'm sure we can understand that priorities will have changed.

I wondered if there might be something like that going on, I was trying to phrase the initial post in a way that wasn't just a demanding "why is this excellent free service not as good as it was". Of course, many other things can take priority over keeping such things up to date.

Back