Steam train at Bury (Duchess of Sutherland)

Name
Alan
Edit My Images
Yes
I was staying at the Bury Caravan Club site and they were running this up and down all day, lot's of spotters on the inside of the embankment fence being supervised by railway staff. I presume they were paying for the privilige, I'm not really into trains but I thought it would be rude not to grab a few shots.

10746795684_3a422c6b34_m.jpg

10746762654_8156d22bd6_m.jpg

Alan

'Duchess of Sutherland' was the first of the Princess Coronation class engines I ever saw. Seeing her hauling an express train at around 100mph is a sight I will never ever forget! I think I only had a roll-film Kodak camera at the time.

lot's of spotters on the inside of the embankment fence being supervised by railway staff. I presume they were paying for the privilige,

Totally free, as there's a public footpath across the line, been a few times myself, normally walk up the line to the little hill near the caravan park.

I have a number of shots of her in LMS colours, taken for a painting, not yet got her in BR green.

....I so much prefer her in LMS colours.

Pure luck on the day. The weather was awful the days before and after but as you can see from the post shadows the sun was behind me and to the left, bright but not harsh. The first picture was taken at 1/400 at f5 using ISO 100 and the second at 1/640 at f4.5 also at ISO 100.
Alan

Lovely pictures. Must get up to this steam railway soon.

Nice images, Acetone the footpath has now been closed forever and diverted to the east side of the line going straight on from the Brown Cow one of the classic shots on this line gone as there is to be a station halt built there and the caravan park the op stayed in is to extended into that field.

The sillhouette from the east side is now practically lost to us as the trees planted in the caravan park now obstuct the sun from coming throught the wheels and giving a clear skyline.

So thanks Caravan park for ruining two of the best shots the elr has to offer.

I have a number of shots of her in LMS colours, taken for a painting, not yet got her in BR green.
Feel free to use these if you like, I have some others but didn't include them for various reasons (bushes, composition and the most tatty looking carriages you've ever seen!)

Alan

Back