Steam train in Ashurst, Kent.

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all.

I'm new here :wave: and also quite new to photography so take it easy! :help:

I don't know much about trains but apparently this steam train hadn't been on this particular track for many years and as it was a beautiful Sunday morning I decided to go along.

Any critique or advice would be great, thanks.

1zdm7ir.jpg

Hello and welcome, great first post (y)

Only thing i'd have done would have been framed it in a portrait format rather than landscape. Oh and post processing cloned out the heards of the irritating people sticking their heads out of the windows :LOL: and the warning square on the bottom right

A very nice shot none the less though!!

Hello and welcome, great first post (y)

Only thing i'd have done would have been framed it in a portrait format rather than landscape. Oh and post processing cloned out the heards of the irritating people sticking their heads out of the windows :LOL: and the warning square on the bottom right

A very nice shot none the less though!!

Thanks for the comment.

I definitely think it would look better in portrait but how do I frame it in portrait using GIMP?
I was thinking about cloning out the warning square in the bottom right but I'm not sure that my cloning skills are up to it yet. I'll give it a shot in a minute though.

I meant really when taking the shot in the first instance. When it comes to head on shots of trains I personally prefer shooting in portrait format. Their shape lends themselves towards it I think.

Kinda like this...

_MG_4678.jpg

Oh, sorry I thought you meant crop it into portrait afterwards :wacky: but yes, I will definitely shoot subjects like that in portrait in the future. ;)

Thanks for the tips. :)

Portrait orientation will allow the plumbs of smoke to be seen better, I think.

I hope you dont mind, I've had a quick play with your photo... Quick bit of (not very good) cloning and a crop/slight adjustment to levels....

Unfortunately the quality really does suffer starting from a small image but you kind of get the idea!

1zdm7ir.jpg

I hope you dont mind, I've had a quick play with your photo... Quick bit of (not very good) cloning and a crop/slight adjustment to levels....

Unfortunately the quality really does suffer starting from a small image but you kind of get the idea!

I don't mind at all! that's exactly what I wanted to see. Thanks. (y)

Back