Steel-Wool Spinning.

Never seen anything like it. Amazing. Where did you hear about that and how the hell do you do it.

great shots. love number 3, really works.

To the questioners:

Make a basket out of chicken wire, stick a handful or two of wire wool in (the fine stuff works best), then attach a chain using a clip of your chosing... no need to cover the entrance over as centrifugal force does its bit.

Light the wire wool with either a 9v battery or a lighter, then spin like buggery!!

Make sure you wear a hat as you get covered in melting wire wool..

Make sure you have a big bottle of water and a fire extinguisher to hand

shot 3 really shows some vision, and is the best of the set

Wicked burn mate, especially #3. Oh and get on ebay and buy some magnesium strip to take it to the next level :D
Check out Light Junkies group on Flickr aswell (y)
Phil

Those are neat! Really having the effect of making me want to do the same thing!

This is great, I'm going to have to try it. Some great images popping up with this technique, and that flickr group is something else!

Is it just a case of swapping the wire wool for the magnesium strip in the bird feeder/whisk?

No, leave the steel wool in. I cut small bits of Magnesium (10mm) or so and just place them inside the steel wool wrapped up. The Steel burns at such a high temperature the Magnesium Burns in no time.
Magnesium can be bought on ebay cheap .

This is great, I'm going to have to try it. Some great images popping up with this technique, and that flickr group is something else!

Definitely, its awesome.

(y)Hi and welcome to TP!, some very good images here im personaly a big fan of wool spinning (something satisfying by burning stuff), and you have done a great job, may be worth asking a mod to move this to the creative section though?

these are tremendous! Haven't tried it myself (yet!) but have seen a fair few and wondered how it's done, so thanks for the info... these are great considering you've only just started with it :)

Back