Steve Jobs

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm aware of this thread but it's a few years old so thought I'd start a new thread.

I downloaded the audio book and I have to say I'm fascinated. I've flick flacked between screaming "you di**head", and you damn genius. If true, he treated many people with absolute contempt. However, he did seem to really drive Apple and his attention to detail, one example is his insisting that then Mac (1981) had beveled edges when an engineer didn't think people would be bothered; to the time taken deciding which font should be used, to his insistence on sealed computers, so people couldn't mess (my term) with the inside.

I'm only around 1/6th into the book but I'm fascinated.

I've watched loads of videos and am still undecided. One thing I do think when watching them, even the later ones when he seems aware of his imminent demise, he had vision, he had drive and he had passion.

I also wonder if Apple would be here without Steve Jobs. Steve Wozniak comes across as a great guy but lacked Job's drive.

I could say more and I do intend to post more as I listen to the book.

I'd welcome thoughts.

Cheers.

I have to agree with Neil on this, Jobs was the visionary driving force behind apple. He created an illusion of superiority and with it an inflated price tag. Jobs and Ives where the demigods of computer consumerism.

I read it (I assume you're talking about the Walter Isaacson biography?) a while ago and really enjoyed it - good read.

Agree with the above - Wozniak is a techie genius, but Jobs was undoubtedly the design visionary. I think they (Apple) were hoping Ives would be able to fulfil both roles, but I do think they've kind of lost their way a bit.... and I say that as a confirmed Apple fan (typing this on a MacBook, have 2 Mac Minis, an iPad and 2 iPhones in the family).

I've not read his book in particular but I love, almost without exception, to read (auto)biographies of people who have achieved things with their life (not just wealth, but success in whatever area they value). I think there's a lot to be gained from understanding how other people have achieved their ambitions.

I've often looked at the products from some of the other computer companies & wondered why they could never come up with a design that was actually good. Jobs was clearly the difference, and it wasn't just his attention to detail that enabled him to do what he did, but also his ability to completely over-rule everyone to get what he expected. Very few compaies ever allow one individual that much autonomy and control.

Expect apple to become just another computer corp, cash-rich and without strong direction.

Good thread. While I always moaned about Apple's slower spec internals compared to the PC world, I gave in and sort some money on a 27' iMac, my mrs converted me after using her MBP years ago, now we have a home with 2 iMacs and 3 MacBook pros plus an iPad. Having worked in IT for a number of years I was fed up with the bulky PC and errors of windows - turn on the iMac and 7 seconds later I'm ready to surf on safari (SSD)
Jobs had a vision of being a designer with the edge, he did bloody well in my opinion - a very rude and blunt man but he had a vision and his following speaks for itself. Why is it that the 'PC' still has a bulky body with a Win licence on the bottom, manufacturers still use the same ethos and unfortunately it Will never change. Stick win 7 ultimate on a 15" MBP retina and I'm sold - it just works.

Back